Beira Vic Falls

clauskastberg created the topic: Beira Vic Falls

Hello
This summer I am coming back with my family to Mocambique after having spent three years in Beira in the mid-eighties. I will be coming back to the Beira-Chimoio-Mutare region visiting Gorongosa and Chimanimani mountains again, but given that I do not come to these regions every decade I would also like to show the Vic Falls to my family. But are there any possibilities coming from Vic Falls to Beira or the other way round without spending too much time other than flying via Maputo, Harare or J'burg? Greetings Claus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

mozman replied the topic: Beira Vic Falls

Hi

I hope you enjoy your return to Mozambique. Note that PNG (Parque Nacional da Gorongosa) is closed during the wet months (usually November to April) but look up www.gorongosa.net for all the info. Regarding Chimanimani please contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. for info as he is managing a great community project and has a camp called Ndzou which is wonderful too.

The most direct way Beira to Vic Falls is SA Airlink Beira - Joburg then SAA or other airline Joburg - Vic Falls (or Livingstone). In Beira I would rent a 4x4 from Europcar www.europcar.co.mz as they have the best service and good rates too.

Also look up envirotrades camp near Chitengo: www.birding.co.za/newsa.htm

Visas are issued on arrival at Beira airport (all other international airports in Moz and most land borders too).

Please ask if there are any gaps in my reply and a report back would be great!

Mike

clauskastberg replied the topic: Re: Beira Vic Falls

Hello Mike
Thanks for your two year old answer to my two year old question. I had to change my plans and our journey to Moz never materialized in 2011, but it will this year in 2013. Flights are booked!

We will fly in to Beira, rent a 4x4 there, stay in Beira for some days exploring the Manga/Dondo region and visiting Rio Savane/Rio Maria. Then off to Gorongosa for a stay there. I am curious whether Gorongosa Adventure is still active. I have tried to contact them but got no immediate answer. I can understand that Explore Gorongosa is not active anymore. Are there any other facilities nearby? We will continue to Mutare, have a nice cup of tea at Vumba Tea Garden, stay one night at Jane's place in Chimanimani before climbing the Chimanimani massive and revisiting Mount Binga. Then back to Beira, giving up the car and the challenge arises: How to get to Vilanculos. I understand that there are only weekly flights with LAM. Their schedule does not fit our plans so we will probably have to opt for a machimbombo. Do you or any other have updated information about busses between Beira and Vilanculos? Anyway I understand that we have to change to a chapas in Pambarra, but my challenge is that I need to be in Vilanculos before getting dark for a transfer to Benguerra After Benguerra we will fly to J'burg, Vic Falls befor ereturning to Denmark/Sweden.

Bottomline: i would be grateful for updated information on buses from Beira to Vilanculos/Pambarra and advice on how to plan this stretch. Can we do it in one day and arrive in Vilanculos before say 17h?

Regards Claus

mozman replied the topic: Re: Beira Vic Falls

Hi

Sakkie van Zyl at Gorongosa Adventures has not been able to respond to emails for 2 weeks, but I spoke to him by phone 00258 829944048 today April 02, 2013. So Gorongosa Adventures is fully operational with trips up Monte Gorongosa almost every day.

Mike

mozman replied the topic: Re: Beira Vic Falls

Hi

there are many buses and chapas that depart Beira at 0400 for Vilanculos, arriving about midday. In Beira I would stay at Sun, Sand and Beach guesthouse: www.ssbguest.com/ and they will be able to organize you an early taxi for your trip to Vilanculos.

Mike

Scroll to top