tourist visa extension

etiennesky created the topic: tourist visa extension

Hi I am going to get a tourist visa from the Nelspruit (South Africa) consular section, and we are planning on staying more than the 30 days a visa allows.

It is not clear if the maximum period of stay, including renewal, is 60 days or 90 days?

I would like to know the fees and approximate delay in getting a 30 day extension.

Finally I would like to know if I can apply for an extension a few days after arriving, or should I wait until about a week after expiring? I would prefer as soon as possible because we will spend some time in the north (crossing to Tanzania) and I am not sure how easy it will be to get the renewal there.

Thanks!
Etienne

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

mozman replied the topic: tourist visa extension

Hi Etienne

The only visas that may be extended in Moz at a Servicos de Migracao office (main towns in Moz), are the 30 day tourist (visto turistico) visas issued at a consulate or border. Double or multiple entry visas can only be extended by departing and re-entering Mozambique. You tourist visa can be extended for two periods of 30 days. Visto turístico (viajem de carácter turístico ou recreativo, não pode exceder 90 dias);

The cost of an extension is unclear, and it seems that the procedure varies at the whim of the official that you deal with. I would apply at least 3 days before your current visa expires.

Mike

etiennesky replied the topic: tourist visa extension

Thanks for your help. I will extent in Quelimane or Nampula. Cheers

Go well

Mike

etiennesky replied the topic: tourist visa extension

I managed to get it extended at Nampula but it was a bit frustrating.

We arrived on Monday morning, 6 days before the visa expiry and submitted the application which costed about 450 Mts each. We were told to come back on friday, but that it would most probably be ready before that and that they would call.

So when we arrived on Friday they told us that the chief had left the city for the entire week and that they needed for her to return to sign the extensios (which were already stamped in the passports). So we came back on monday and Tuesday with similar excuses, that she had to travel to Pemba and didn't have time to look into this.

By chance we met the secretary on the street just after closing hours and she recognized us. We managed to arrange for her to help us (someone else would put our passports on the top of the pile) for a small bribe.

The next morning (Wednesday, 9 days after submitting our passports), we got an sms from the secretary that she had given our passports personally to the chief to sign, so we could pick them up.

Moral of the story: don't plan on anything working as expected, and be prepared to pay a bribe and get in the loop to make things work better.

Well done. Yes that "the chefe" is out of town is a standard way of asking for a bribe.

Mike

Scroll to top