From Zim to Maputo

kay created the topic: From Zim to Maputo

Hello everyone,

l want to make the trip to Maputo to pick up a vehicle and hopefully meet up with some old friends. ln all l expect to be there for a week or two but depending on problems clearing the vehicle and whether my friends are available it could be much shorter than this.

l would like to get the following information before planning, at this point have not committed to shipping it through Mozambique or other ports.

1. How long does it take to get a visa and what is the cost?
2. What are the visa requirements?
3. ls it possible to get a visa at the border or on arrival in Mozambique?
4. ls there a safe, reliable bus from Harare, Bulawayo, Mutare or other city which goes through to Maputo or to Beira.
5. What is the length of the trip if one takes a bus from the border to Beira or Border to Maputo.
6. ls it possible to clear the car by yourself or you will need an agent to do so?
7. If an agent is needed how much will that cost?
8. How long will the whole process take to get all the steps and documentation completed?
9. Is it possible to get a police clearance so as to avoid trouble on the way back?
10. How long does the process of clearing a car take once at the border?
11. In Maputo, what is the average price of a hotel room, l am assuming a 3star per night?
12. What is the average price for meals in Maputo?
13. Any other things a foreigner like myself would need to know before taking the trip to Mozambique?

Thanks in advance, l am sorry for so many questions but l just want to be as thorough as possible.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

mozman replied the topic: From Zim to Maputo

Hi Kay

I apologies for the delayed reply.
Firstly I am only able to answer some of your questions (see below).
For the vehicle import and export documentation queries, the best person to contact is Aly Sattar who is on the excellent and very useful DriveMoz Facebook forum: www.facebook.com/groups/DriveMoz/?fref=nf

1. How long does it take to get a visa and what is the cost?
MIKE: If on a Zim or other SADC country passport no visa needed. Otherwise is about US$60 at border and takes approx 30mins.
2. What are the visa requirements?
MIKE: At Machipanda you go to the visa desk and they will take photo and money. Best to have proof of at least one night booked accommodation in Moz, but not always asked for.
3. ls it possible to get a visa at the border or on arrival in Mozambique?
MIKE: Yes, see above.
4. ls there a safe, reliable bus from Harare, Bulawayo, Mutare or other city which goes through to Maputo or to Beira.
MIKE: Local buses run every day from the main bus station in Harare. Not really safe and can be hot and overcrowded. For better buses such as Greyhound and Intercape, you must travel via Johannesburg.
5. What is the length of the trip if one takes a bus from the border to Beira or Border to Maputo.
MIKE: I presume you will be travelling Harare - Mutare - Chimoio - Vilanculos - Xai-Xai - Maputo. This is a 3 day 2 night trip. Overnight Mutare or Chimoio, then Vilanculos then next day to Maputo.
6. ls it possible to clear the car by yourself or you will need an agent to do so?
MIKE: You will need an agent. Speak to Aly Sattar - see above.
7. If an agent is needed how much will that cost?
MIKE: Ask Aly Sattar.
8. How long will the whole process take to get all the steps and documentation completed?
9. Is it possible to get a police clearance so as to avoid trouble on the way back?
10. How long does the process of clearing a car take once at the border?
11. In Maputo, what is the average price of a hotel room, l am assuming a 3star per night?
MIKE: I would stay at a guest house such as www.sommerschieldgh.com/ Single is Mzn4250 per day ($70) incl breakfast.
12. What is the average price for meals in Maputo?
MIKE: Eat at your guest house. Approx $10 per lunch or dinner.
13. Any other things a foreigner like myself would need to know before taking the trip to Mozambique?
MIKE: Yes quite a lot of things. What passport do you travel on. Where do you live? Have you driven in 3rd world countries before? You will find very useful info on the DriveMoz Facebook group.

Go well

Mike

kay replied the topic: From Zim to Maputo

Dear Mike

Thanks a lot for the great reply really useful.

Well as it stands still fundraising, looking to buy beginning of the coming year. l would ideally avoid SA if possible, a lot crazier around the new year, besides l have heard how wonderful the country is so hopefully by going by road l can see this for myself. As for the buses l was born in this part of the world so its kind of normal, just a bit shocked that it would take about 3 days to move around. That was very unexpected had hoped things were much better now.

Anyway as a result of your information, l am thinking l will make my way to Mutare and then try to go as far south as l can from there, hopefully cutting the trip down to a day, but maybe thats somewhat overambitious.

By the way l just have a couple of questions for you, seeing as you are familiar with the terrain.
1. Do you think from a safety perspective especially as we read that sometimes there are tensions between the former combatants, should l even be trying to do this? The thing is last time we cleared a car we had to pay $500 to a company which took the car from Maputo to the Border l felt was too much so l thought to try to do it myself this time as well as to see one of the most underrated countries, in my view. l am guessing it could be done in 2 or so days and for about half or less than that.

2. How much of the local language, Portuguese would l need to know so as not to be an easy mark for criminals and unscrupulous locals. l do not want to stand out for all the wrong reasons, so l want to try to maybe learn a few phrases to ease my progress.

Anyway thank you very much for the supplied information it is of great use to me. l am almost certain l will come and if that should happen, l will let you know how it goes.

Regards
Kay

Hi again Kay

1. Do you think from a safety perspective especially as we read that sometimes there are tensions between the former combatants, should l even be trying to do this?
MIKE: Currently a very good time to be travelling in Moz. No Renamo activity and no rain for the next few months.

The thing is last time we cleared a car we had to pay $500 to a company which took the car from Maputo to the Border l felt was too much so l thought to try to do it myself this time as well as to see one of the most underrated countries, in my view. l am guessing it could be done in 2 or so days and for about half or less than that.
MIKE: I really can't comment on how long the process of exporting a vehicle from Moz to Zim might take. No experience of this, but I do anticipate it could be quite a process.

2. How much of the local language, Portuguese would l need to know so as not to be an easy mark for criminals and unscrupulous locals. l do not want to stand out for all the wrong reasons, so l want to try to maybe learn a few phrases to ease my progress.
MIKE: And here is exactly why you should contact an agent. If I have not already mentioned his name, contact Aly Sattar via the DriveMoz group on facebook.

All the best

Mike

kay replied the topic: From Zim to Maputo

Dear Mike

Thanks for everything you have made it very clear what l need to do! l hope next time l write l will be sharing my own experiences. The website is very useful and l will recommend it to others.

Have a good day.

Regards
Kay

Hi Kay.

Many thanks for the positive feedback. I wish you well with your activities in Mozambique.

Mike

Scroll to top