Currency used in Moz

BradG created the topic: Currency used in Moz

• BradG
  • BradG's Avatar Topic Author

Hi please could some one let me kow what the best currency is to travel with in moz, from Xai-Xai to Biera. thanks Brad

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

mozman replied the topic: Currency used in Moz

If not a South African, carry USD - if from SA use your rands. ATM cards with a PIN work but Amex and all travellers cheques are virtually useless.

Keep in mind that a few years ago three 0's were dropped from the Moz metical so now there old (antiga) and new (nova) meticais in circulation. The old notes and coins have 'mil' meticais on them and are worth 1000 times less than face value so just drop three 0's to get the equivalent new mets value.

Mike

TrevMat replied the topic: Re: Currency used in Moz

Hiya,

I'm new to this forum and have a questions or tweo about the currency when travelling in Moz...I am a south african so RANDS I will have...will RANDS be accepted everywhere?

What about change given? ...most likely in the local currency? ...is it advisable then to maybe carry small denominations of RANDS then i.e. plenty of R10 and R20 notes?

Thanks for any help.

God Bless

Trevor

janputte replied the topic: Re: Currency used in Moz

Change will be in local currency.
Have R10's & R20's for market purchases, R50's & R100's for fuel & accommodation.

Sandylandy replied the topic: Re: Currency used in Moz

I would avoid using foreign currency once you get north of about Vilancoulo. There is much less tourism so not much rands/dollars used, except for in main lodges, hotels or in places like Ilha de Mocambique. You'll easily be able to change your rands in the South, but I would get meticais for travel north of the Zambezi.

viskoekies replied the topic: Re: Currency used in Moz

Hi Mike,

We are Dutch so foreigners but will travel from SA to Moz via the Krugerpark Giriyonda border.
As we are staying in SA first we carry Rands on us.
Do you still advice to take dollars for MOZ or both?

If you get MT 4.5 for a ZAR how much will you get for a dollar? around 40?

Is it possible to pay with a cc at the petrol station? Or do we have to carry cash around the whole time?

Many thanks,
Wil & Eveline
Amsterdam
The Netherlands

Scroll to top