Currency used in Moz

Sandylandy replied the topic: Re: Currency used in Moz

Hi there - check the current exchange rates at www.oanda.com/currency/converter/

You are likely to get closer to 3mts per ZAR and 25 per US$. If you are going north from Giriyondo then get dollars, but south from there you will be ok with Rands. As you go north the rand exchange rate gets worse and worse.

Happy travels, it is a beautiful part of the world!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

TrevMat replied the topic: Re: Currency used in Moz

hiya...dollars are not essential...I have travelled from south to the farthest northern point in August last year and have paid for fuel and accommodation with MT...card facilities are scarce...am travelling that way again in August this year...

Currently the rate is approx. R1 - MT3.32

Hope this help a little...

mozman replied the topic: Re: Currency used in Moz

Hi

very important questions.

I carry Rands only. I use cash only where there is no access to an ATM. ATM's are now located in almost all of Mozambique's towns, except far away from main routes.

Currency traders at border posts and elsewhere can be useful if you are able to manage the transaction without getting cheated.

If entering via Giriyondo and Pafuri you can pay border and park fees in rands, and perhaps change some cash with a local trader, if there happens to be one going through the border at the time. Buy Vodacom and mCel sim cards in Massingir as cellphone coverage is now very extensive in Moz. Sometimes Vodacom is best, other places, Mcel. There are ATM's banks, shops, fuel stations, bakeries, hospital, hotel etc in Chokwe which is a very busy and quite prosperous little town.

BUT as the Rand is quite a volatile currency (value against the dollar etc changes daily), sometimes when there is a sudden decrease in the value of the rand, some Mozambicans suddenly only accept dollars, or will give a very poor rate for Rands. So still a very good idea to carry half of your cash in Rand and half in US$.

Mike

Scroll to top