money exchange

mozman replied the topic: money exchange

Forgot to mention that many of the lodges and dive operations accept Visa and Mastercard credit cards, but not American Express.

Mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Sophie replied the topic: money exchange

• Sophie
  • Sophie's Avatar Topic Author

Hello Mike,
I have read and printed your guides, bought malarone, packed sunscreen and i am alomost ready to go. I have 3 weeks in MOZ and I prefer to take it easy and really enjoy the nature, sealife and slow pace, my plan is not original:), so 2 days in Maputo, 1 day and 1 night in Inhambane (Pensao Pachica), 1 week in Tofo for diving and yoga (turtle cove) and a few days in Vilanculo for same reasons. On my way back I might stop in Kruger but I would much prefer to go to Maputo Elephant Reserve but I see it is impossible to arrange if not having 4x4 and camping gear.
I have last questions..I hope...!
-I belive september is a low season, no many tourists right?

-do I need to take a light sleeping bag or a cotton sheet will do?
are the nights quite cold in september on the coast?

-do I need to buy mosquito net in Maputo and where?

-is it easy to buy sealed bottle water in small villages and at backpackers places like Turtle cove? ( i am not taking purifier)

-do you know if Punto Dundo Camp on Bazaruto is opened ?

Thank you Mike.

Sophie

mozman replied the topic: money exchange

My answers follow your questions:

I have last questions..I hope...!
-I belive september is a low season, no many tourists right?
MIKE: SA School holidays Sept 23 to Oct 02, but not very busy as compared with the easter and Christmas periods.

-do I need to take a light sleeping bag or a cotton sheet will do?
are the nights quite cold in september on the coast?
MIKE: Usually just a cotton sheet OK but I would also bring along the sleeping bag as it can get down to 13 degs C at night.

-do I need to buy mosquito net in Maputo and where?
MIKE: I would buy a Permanet in Maputo - were available at Shoprite when I last looked, otherwise at one of the textile shops in the Baixa (Av. 25 de Setembro).

-is it easy to buy sealed bottle water in small villages and at backpackers places like Turtle cove? ( i am not taking purifier)
MIKE: Yes bottled water sold almost everywhere that colddrinks sold - always take a close look at the top to see if it has been opened prev - quite common.

-do you know if Punto Dundo Camp on Bazaruto is opened ?
MIKE: I think it is not open but look up www.sailaway.co.za and ask Dave.

Last tip - on the airplane do not pack any of your valuables in the hold (take as cabin baggage) as there has been a lot of theft at Oliver Tambo (Joburg) and Maputo airports.

Mike

alethe replied the topic: Re: money exchange

Heading off to Moz via Kruger and then to Banhime - where I assume they will want mets as well, but can one get mets at either Giriyondo or Pafuri Border post. Alternatively anywhere in SA ? I know FX africa in Nelspruit does it, but we don't want to have to go via Nelspruit to save a few bucks !

Thanks for any advice !

Etienne Marais

mozman replied the topic: Re: money exchange

Hi Etienne
In Pafuri there are shops where you can exchange rands to Mets at a poor rate. At Giriyondo I have managed to exchange with a cross=border trader but was just lucky. Also if any tourists coming into Kruger at Giri perhaps they have mets left for trade. Banhine does accept rands. Entry is R70 pp and camping also R70 pp (or 200 meticais). Tented camp is R100 pp.

I see on my booking confirmation for Nhampfule camp, near Mapai, from the Parque nacional do Limpopo Warden, that payment can be made at Giriyondo or Massingir gates if you have bookings in the Parque to get you through Kruger as is now required.

Mike

Scroll to top