Buses with big & heavy bags ?

Carey created the topic: Buses with big & heavy bags ?

Hi Mike!

We are two young French people looking for visiting South Mozambique in October.

We will arrive at Maputo (and will stay there for a few days) but as we are primarily interested in scuba diving, we would like to go then to Tofo and Vilankulo (and even maybe then to Beira). We both have our full diving equipment and so we will carry a big bag (quite heavy!).

So my question is : is it realistic to think that we could travel (by bus, chapa, or any other kind of public transportation) with such a big bag... ? Knowing that because of our tight budget, we might prefer cheapest modes of transport...

Thank you very much for your answer (and sorry if this question has already been asked by other travelers!)

Camille

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

mozman replied the topic: Buses with big & heavy bags ?

Hi
E um grande bem-vindo para Mozguide.

Your problem will be the value of your dive-gear, more than the size. Locals are routinely charged extra for large bags, fresh-produce, building material, yes even goats! So expect the same treatment. Your bags will be a target for thieves so what I have done in the past is to ask the driver of the taxi that drove me to the Junta Terminus in Maputo, to recommend a bus company. If you are willing to wait, find a bus that has luggage room underneath, and try to get your bags in first so that they will be far away from the door. Or try to negotiate that your bags be carried inside the bus.

Bit of a chance, but can be done.

Boa sorte e boas viagems!

Mike

Carey replied the topic: Buses with big & heavy bags ?

Hi Mike and thank you very much for your quick reply and the useful information !

Ouch, things sounds complicated... :unsure:

Would you recommend then to rent a car ? (I have heard that this is not really a good idea (expensive and not a very safe option, especially when considering the recent attacks on roads...)). Or what about local flying companies ?

It is so difficult to find information about those things from France, this forum is a real "gold-mine" so, again, thank you very much for your help !! :)

I hope we could sort things out because we really want to visit and dive in Mozambique !! :)

Camille

OK so here are two comments.

Firstly, perhaps travelling to Mozambique with all your dive gear is not recommended. Why not do what most divers do and rent once in Tofo or Vilanculos are at the many other dive operators.

Secondly, all roads south of the Save River (Inhassoro south to Ponta do Ouro), have had no Renamo related problems. However car rental is expensive in Moz and if you are not accustomed to driving on roads where there could be erratic and dangerous drivers, or broken down trucks around the next bend, as well as pedestrians, livestock and over-enthusiastic traffic policemen, then I do not recommend self-drive in Moz.

So travel light, enjoy buses and chapas, and you will have a cheaper and more relaxed trip to Mozambique.

Look at: esp1h.wordpress.com/2014/03/10/tofo-scuba-revisited-again/

Enjoy

Mike

Carey replied the topic: Buses with big & heavy bags ?

Thanks a lot for your comments and the link !! ;)

Sure thing

Mike

Scroll to top