Border crossing Northern Mozambique to Tanzania

mozman replied the topic: Re: Border crossing Northern Mozambique to Tanzania

Hi Alex

my friend from Quionga is presently in South Africa but will drive back up to Quionga beginning March. He says he has heard of a new Tanzanian ferry but will only get more details once back up at Quionga.

Mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hi Lucy

Firstly, this is a real adventure with lots of chances for delays and deviations as it is the height of the rains in southern Tanzania and northern Mozambique.

It will be at least a two day trip from Dar to Mocimboa da Praia. And then you should expect another two days Rovuma - Pemba - Nampula, but possible three.

First day bus ride (road conditions south of Kilwa permitting), Dar to Mtwara.

Second day, dala-dala to Kilambo and pick-up or bicycle taxi 7km from Kilambo to the Ruvuma river.

Then you must befriend some other women local travellers to assist you paying for the row-boat across the Rovuma to Singa (Namoto), and the pick-up landcruiser taxi 5km to the Namoto border, 15km to Quionga (rains permitting).

The landcruiser will only take you to Palma, but you should be able to get to Mocimboa and the second day.

Third day bus Mocimboa to Pemba, and possibly another bus to Nampula, but almost all buses leave very early morning, so

Fourth day Pemba to Nampula.

Very experienced and resourceful travellers could do Dar to Nampula in just 3 days, but I doubt it during the rainy season.

But the good news is that yes, you can get a visa at the border going Mozambique back to Tanzania, but could be restrictions on SOME passports, too.

If you go it will be a tale to tell.

Mike

Hi again Lucy

forgot to mention that there are (or used to be?) Dar - Pemba (Moz) or Dar Nampula flights. Look up www.kaskazini.com in Pemba, Moz.

Mike

simult replied the topic: Re: Border crossing Northern Mozambique to Tanzania

Thank you Mike for your interest. At least he has heard about the ferry, which is good news in itself.
So let us wait until he comes back and see what he finds out!
Kind regards,
Alex

Yes as soon as he is back in Quionga, I will post here.

Mike

Hi again

My friend is now back in Quionga and he confirms that there is a new vehicle ferry across the Rovuma at basically the same places as the old ferry. It costs about US$25 per vehicle and the same conditions apply as those affecting the previous ferry, i.e when the river is low, (winter months May to December) it is best to arrive at the river at high tides, spring tides best and neap tides may not be a good time.

Do a search for Namoto on this forum and on the rest of mozguide for a lot of great information.

Mike

Scroll to top