Border crossing Northern Mozambique to Tanzania

simult replied the topic: Re: Border crossing Northern Mozambique to Tanzania

Hello, Mike:
I have been told that a new ferry will soon start operating from slightly north of Palma to Mtwara. Have you heard of this? If so, how long do you think the crossing will take?
Thank you!
Alex

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

mozman replied the topic: Re: Border crossing Northern Mozambique to Tanzania

Hi Alex

no, nothing about this has come my way. Where did you hear about it. Will see what I can find out.

Mike

Hello, Mike.
Thanks or your prompt response.
Claer from Kaskazini told me a few days ago.
I am planning to travel in August and she said the ferry should be operational by then.
It would be great if you could double check!
Regards,
Alex

mozman replied the topic: Re: Border crossing Northern Mozambique to Tanzania

I have sent an email to a friend in Quionga so will let you know the reply. Claer and Kaskazini have a very good reputation.

Mike

Thank you Mike! I shall be looking forward to any light you can shed.
The ferry would be great as I am rather nervous of the crossing at Namoto!
Regards,
Alex

LucyH replied the topic: Re: Border crossing Northern Mozambique to Tanzania

Hi Mike,

I'm looking to get from Tanzania to Mozambique on public transport next week. I have a bit of free time and a friend in Mozambique, so I thought I might attempt this - we're planning on meeting in Nampula then heading to Ilha to Mozambique. However he's never done this journey on public transport before and I'm finding it hard to find reliable information about it. You seem like you might have the answers!

I will be in Zanzibar before heading down to Moz, so I'm planning on getting a Mozambican visa at the embassy in Stone Town - apparently they can do it in a day. However, after reading the (possibly fictional) horror stories above I got a little worried about the bus journey.

Firstly, is it possible to get a Tanzanian tourist visa upon re-entry at the border? I found some sources that said you need to get it in advance from Maputo. I need to arrive back in Dar on March 15th and I can't risk being sent down to Maputo! (I currently only have a single entry Tanzanian tourist visa so it will expire upon exiting Tanzania.)

Could I get all the way from Dar to Mocimba in a day or will I need to go Dar - Mtwara - Mocimba? And am I right in thinking I can then do Mocimba - Pemba in one day, then Pemba - Nampula in one day?

I'm a woman travelling alone, and I've read your posts that this is not a problem in Mozambique. I speak basic Swahili but no Portuguese whatsoever - am I likely to need to memorise basic phrases for getting through the border/buying bus tickets?

Finally, I've read a lot that this route is a lot better in the dry season. I can't afford to fly to Maputo so road is my only option. However, if it's genuinely dangerous to attempt it, then this trip is by no means set in stone, and I'm perfectly happy to explore southern Tanzania instead and just meet my Mozambican friend another time.

Thanks so much for any help you can give!

Lucy

Scroll to top