Trains in Mozambique

MT created the topic: Trains in Mozambique

Whilst the Nampula - Cuamba train is covered in blogs etc, I can find very little online info on any other trains in the country. Can anyone help us with timetables / photos / trip reports / observations / rumours even?

The excellent fahrplan site shows several lines around Beira and Maputo here.

Thanks in advance!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

mozman replied the topic: Re: Trains in Mozambique

Hi

Other than CFM Norte (Nampula - Cuamba) the other rail routes in Moz that currently offer passenger carriages are:

Linha de Sena (Beira - Sena - Moatize): www.opais.co.mz/index.php/economia/38-ec...igar-as-pessoas.html

Linha Sul: Maputo - Ressano Garcia
Maputo = Goba, Maputo - Marracuene and Maputo Chicualacuala. Sorry no details on timetable and I see that the CFM website cfmnet.co.mz/ is not operational.

Mike

Chickpea replied the topic: Re: Trains in Mozambique

Do you know what days the trains run from Nampula to Cuamba? First or second class?

MT replied the topic: Re: Trains in Mozambique

I've just got back....

I can confirm that the Cuamba - Nampula train now runs daily with third class, second class and a buffet on BOTH trains. Second class is compartment stock and reserved seats. Tickets can be brought the day before but we managed to get them at 03:00 with a bit of asking and playing the white man card - cost was 400 meticals for 2nd. The train leaves Cuamba at 05:30 but in the opposite direction leaves Nampula at 05:00.

Oh and if anyone is interested - we caught the Malawi train form Balaka to the Moz border at Nayuchi - this leaves at 06:00 every Thursday and calls at Liwonde (approx 08:00) before reaching the border at about 12ish. Malawian customs is on the platform at Nayuchi and whilst you're queuing there you'll be offered money changing and pick ups / minibuses to Cuamba - Thursday is obviously THE day to cross the border so the town was very busy. We took a pick up for 200 Meticals (probably a rip off compared to what the locals will have paid but cheap enough) to Cuamba, stopping at the Entre Lagos border to go to the railway station where the Moz customs are housed - note most local passengers don't seem to need to do this but obviously westerners do. It then took approx 3 hours to Cuamba and we got in at sunset.

From Beira there is a weekly train to Moatize - departs Tuesday evening (return Thursday morning from Moatize) and arrives wednesday afternoon, although in our case it was approx 4 hours late. 2nd class accomodation is available for approx 800 meticals but its comfortable with sleeping bunks. No buffet is provided but plenty of vendors along the way - just stock up on water etc at Beira station. A timetable is here .

From Maputo there is the daily train to Ressano Garcia (out 07:50, return 12:00) but also a train to the Zimbabwe border on Saturdays at 09:55 (returning Sunday 10:45) taking nearly 24 hours - this is thought to have 1st class accomodation and a buffet but we didn't travel so can't confirm. For Maputo trains a timetable is here although double check locally the latest situation.

For those interested - my (mainly train based) Mozambique photos are on my flickr.

Hi

sounds like a great trip and many thanks for the detailed feedback - good to see that the Cuamba Nampula train service has been improved and that the Moatize line is taking passengers too>

Really good to get outside input, more much welcome.

Mike

Thanks again

just found this on the 'net: jonathansworldlyimages.com/post/mozambique-overview/

Mike

Scroll to top