Blantyre to Maputo then Maputo to Dar es Salaam

ZoeD created the topic: Blantyre to Maputo then Maputo to Dar es Salaam

Hello everyone,

I am just in the beginning stages of planning a rather epic backpacking trip around Tanzania, Malawi, Zambia, Mozambique for 5 months with my boyfriend.

I'm no stranger to Africa or public transport and all the craziness and waiting that can go with it, although have never go to these specific countries.

If I could get some advice with the Moz part of the trip that'd be great.

Its last on itinerary so I will have been travelling for around 3 months in Tanzania, Malawi, Zambia before I arrive.

Am getting public transport everywhere and can't afford any flights - also so much more exciting on public transport!

My (very rough) plan so far is to try and get to from Blantyre to Mapotu in as fewer stop overs as possible? Does anyone know what this route is? So far seems like I can get a bus from Blantyre to Chimoio to Maputo?

Then once in Mapotu for a few days I want to travel all the way up the coast to Dar es Salaam. A massive trip!

We'll probably have a minimum of 6 weeks to do this max. Can any one recommend how long this could take? I don't want to be travelling every day.

We'll be travelling between early Jan - late feb. Any idea what the roads/weather might be like during this time?

Also any visa info at the boarders would be great too (i.e. malawi - moz boarder and moz - Tanzania boarder), can we get visas at the boarder?

Any general advice about this trip would be great!

Thanks,

Zoe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

mozman replied the topic: Re: Blantyre to Maputo then Maputo to Dar es Salaam

Hi

Blantyre to Maputo via Chimoio and Vilanculos is a 3-day trip. Did a search on this forum and go this:

"From Blantyre to Tete we paid 5000 kwacha, the ZUPCO bus leaves 3 times a week at 8am and takes a bit longer than the minibusses but is a bit less of a hassle I guess. It drops you off right across the bridge in Tete (so in front of Sundowners). The bus from Tete to Chimoio cost us 400 mtc and left Tete at 4:30am. We arrived at Chimoio around 11am. Here we're staying at the Pink Papaya backpackers hostel (a nice place with a fully equiped kitchen, we stay in the dorm for 400mtc)."

From Chimoio you may find a bus as far as Vilanculos then day 3 is Vilanculos to Maputo.

Another alternative is to use Intercape as they have buses Blantyre - Harare - Johannesburg non-stop departing Blantyre at 0800 and arriving Joburg following day at 1700. www.intercape.co.za/bus-booking/blantyre/to/johannesburg/0/ Then take Intercape night bus to Maputo departing Joburg 2200 and arriving Maputo 0830 following day. www.intercape.co.za/bus-booking/johannesburg/to/maputo/0/ The complication with this second option is of course that you will add two countries, Zimbabwe and SA to your trip which involves borders and visa implications.

Mike

ZoeD replied the topic: Re: Blantyre to Maputo then Maputo to Dar es Salaam

Hey,

Great thanks. Gonna stick to Moz borders otherwise will have to pay a load in Visas and extra hassle. Also I have a somewhat erm 'dodgy' situation with the ZA visa authorities and I'm not sure they'll let me in haha.

Am travelling from early Jan - late feb (north in mid feb. )Any idea what the roads/weather might be like during this time?

Also can I get visa on entry from Malawi or should I apply in Malawi?

Thanks!

Hi again Zoe

While the Moz authorities have got very sticky about issuing visas at airports, this has so far not affected the land borders that issue visas. Visas are currently issued at Zobue for $85.

Jan and Feb is the height of the rains in Moz north of the Zambezi so there is a chance that heavy rains could cut some low bridges north of Pemba, but overall the main road through Moz has never been in better condition, and using public transport the locals quickly make a plan at broken bridges so you should manage.

North of Pemba I would head up to Ibo, Pangane, Mocimboa da Praia carry on along the coast to Palma, Quionga, the Namoto border and use the ferry or small boat to cross to Tanzania where visas are issued for $50 on arrival to some passport holders so do some research on this.

Mike

Martin! replied the topic: Re: Blantyre to Maputo then Maputo to Dar es Salaam

Hi there Mike and all!

There is a consulate in Blantyre that can issue more visa than the borderposts should. I prearranged mine in Brussels, a recurring visit one valid for 3 months at 50 EUR each (takes about a week excluding mailtimes. Just follow procedures, actually.

There is a bus from Tete to Maputo - Direct. It will not stop (apart from waiting for convoy at Muxungue, which will probably no longer exist by then), one way ticket is 2100 MTN, regardless where you exit. So if you hop off in Inhambane and reenter the next day, you pay again.

Have a blast!

Visa: www.portaldogoverno.gov.mz/Servicos/migracao/

Hi Martin

thanks for the useful info. Just be aware that multiple entry visas (recurring) issued at consulates are valid for batches of 30 days, and then must be renewed which can only be done at a border post. So you must leave Moz and re-enter for a further 30 days until your visa has expired.

If you get a border visa (visto fronteira) this is also only valid for 30 days but it can be extended at a Migracao office in most of the larger towns and cities in Mozambique. You do not have the hassle of travelling to a border.

Mike

Scroll to top