Heading north from maputo

Handrehay created the topic: Heading north from maputo

Hey Mike

We are planning a trip up mozis coast....the thing im uncertain about is the first leg from maputo to maxixe. I understand that the busses leave early morning, but the thing is busses from SA only arrive between 8 to 9 in the morning if on time. So what i want to know is if it will still be possible to get a bus or chapa from junta to maxixe that late in the morning, lets say between 8 and 10?? Or will a night in maputo be the only option and then getting a early bus the next morning?

Kind regards
Handre

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

mozman replied the topic: Re: Heading north from maputo

Hi Handre

welcome to mozguide.

Two scenarios:
1) Your bus arrives on time, and you can get to Junta by 10:00am, then you will be able to find a bus or chapa north, but perhaps not all the way to Maxixe in one go. You may have to settle for 2 or 3 trips on different chapas but you should get to Maxixe. Where will you be staying? I assume Inhambane / Tofo area, and note that the Maxixe - Inhambane motor ferries stop around 1700, so you will be cutting it mighty fine. I suggest that you instead aim for Lindela and if you get there after dark just overnight at Quinta S. Antonio - Adelaide and Victor are great hosts and will look after you and see that you get to where you are going following morning.

2) Your bus experiences usual delays so arrives Maputo around 1200 and you then must overnight in Maputo. Suggest The Base Backpackers, they will get you onto a taxi to Junta next morning for a 0400 bus north.

Go well and watch your stuff at bus terminus and on bus - carry cards, cash and passports in a flat money belt under clothes.

Mike

Handrehay replied the topic: Re: Heading north from maputo

Mike!

Thanks a lot for the quick response. This site is extremely helpful.

I think the better option would be to stay in maputo and go the next morning. Another option is cheetah express that stops at mundos around 20:00 at night. Have some pizza there and wait it out till next morning 04:00 for bus north. Feels like a waste to pay for accomodation for 4 hours? Or would you say its not safe at all and rather go by intercape and just sleep at base?

And then just lastly...is getting from beira to chimoio and then all the way to mutare in zim possible?

Much appreciated!

Scroll to top