Nampula to Cape Maclear via Chiponde

jack.emerton created the topic: Nampula to Cape Maclear via Chiponde

Hi

I am looking at doing a trip from Nacala to Cape Maclear via Cuamba and Chiponde on the en8. Any advice on road conditions, driving times, border post would be great. I know there is quite a bit of work that has been done on the road in recent months but also some damage from the floods at the start of the year. We will be travelling in early November, so it should still be dry, in a 4x4 with a spade and a tow rope for recovery gear. Any other route suggestions to the lake most welcome.

Cheers

Jack

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

mozman replied the topic: Nampula to Cape Maclear via Chiponde

Hi

Sorry for the delayed reply. Mandimba border can be easy, to frustrating, depends on the day. Officially visas can be issued here, but often the official will be obstructive and ask why you did not get a visa in advance, so have a polite, respectful and logical answer ready. Mandimba to Cuamba is rutted, dusty and hard-going - expect about 40kph ave speed. Cuamba to Malema rough to pretty good, then Malema to Ribaue should be tarmac by now. Ribaue to Nampula was under construction so could either by a dusty rough detour or new tarmac. Mandimba to Nampula is 12 - 14 hrs hard driving in the dry.

Fuel in Cuamba and Malema and of course Nampula.

For accomm in Nampula if camping go to Montes Nairucu 15km before Nampula on the Ribaue road. Or in town I can recommend Ruby backpackers.

Go well

Mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Scroll to top