Roads access in the North

mozman replied the topic: Roads access in the North

Hi Grace

sorry, missed your query. Quite easy to get to Mtwara from Dar (get visa first as no visas at border) by regular (daily, I think) buses. Then take a dala-dala or other transport to Kilambo border and there you may have to get another ride to the river. You could wait for the vehicle ferry but simply ask the locals to buy a ticket for you for one of the smaller boats (otherwise you might be asked Muzungu - or White Person's - price). Cross the Ruvuma and if transport is waiting, again ask locals to get your ticket, or walk 3km to Namoto border post (not at night due to lions). From Namoto to Quionga is 15km. You should quite easily get transport going to Mocimboa da Praia where you overnight before getting 0400 bus further south.

All you need at border is passport with visa in it. Without a vehicle there are no fees.

Go well

Mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hi Grace

sorry, missed your query. Quite easy to get to Mtwara from Dar (get visa first as no visas at border) by regular (daily, I think) buses. Then take a dala-dala or other transport to Kilambo border and there you may have to get another ride to the river. You could wait for the vehicle ferry but simply ask the locals to buy a ticket for you for one of the smaller boats (otherwise you might be asked Muzungu - or White Person's - price). Cross the Ruvuma and if transport is waiting, again ask locals to get your ticket, or walk 3km to Namoto border post (not at night due to lions). From Namoto to Quionga is 15km. You should quite easily get transport going to Mocimboa da Praia where you overnight before getting 0400 bus further south.

All you need at border is passport with visa in it. Without a vehicle there are no fees.

Go well

Mike

kurgela replied the topic: Roads access in the North

Hi,

at the end of march I'll be traveling south from Dar to Pemba, we are 5 people from Italy traveling with ours 4x4 vehicles, 2 cars and one truck. I think the best option is to take a ferry and cross the Rovuma instead of take the Unity Bridge.

We don't have many days so we have to be sure to get the ferry, can anybody confirm us that the ferry is working? How are the roads from the border to Pemba?

We decide to take the ferry because to cross the rovuma with the bridge is 600km more and we have read that the roads from Negomano to Mueda are very bad and with a lot of mud, is that true?

Hi Kurgela

Yes the road from the Unity Bridge at Negomano is in poor condition so I recommend using the ferry
Firstly ensure that you get visas in Dar es Salaam as not issued at Moz border. The ferry is quite reliable and runs regularly when the Rovuma is flowing well, but only at high tides (spring tides best) during the dry season. Look up a tide table for Mtwara. Your best contact in the area are Andre and Anna-Marie Thiart who are missionaries in Quionga. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Safari Ngema

Mike

kurgela replied the topic: Roads access in the North

Thanks mozman for the answer.

Yes we will get visas in Italy (we are in Italy now and the cars and truck in Dar). I'll write to the missionaries

thanks a lot

Scroll to top