Should I use convoys or are their alternatives?

mozman replied the topic: WARNING: Attacks on EN1 restart!

Hi Jan

Many thanks for the update and info on your plans. Hope LAM run on time. Enjoy the trip across Lago Niassa (Lake Malawi).

Mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

ChilliNZ replied the topic: WARNING: Attacks on EN1 restart!

Hi hi!

So glad I found this website.
So, the basic questions are (and I posted them here because it seems like it's the "safety" bit) are these:
1) My partner and I are on a self-drive in a 1.5l Swift/Polo equivalent and will be crossing from Zimbabwe at the beginning of October.
We'd ideally like to cross across at Espungabera and then head to Vilaculos - firstly, is this possible at this time in a 2wd and secondly, is it safe? I assume that once we're south of the Save we're safe and everything - it's just those initial few hours that have me a bit spooked. From what I can see, though, there's been not a lot "happening" that way.
2) Otherwise, do we have to go across at Sango? The same questions would apply here but the route/road looks a lot gnarlier here.
3) We'd like to fly from Maputo to Nampula and get out to Ihle.. would this stretch of road be safe for public transport or transport at all? Better to try and get private?

Oh and I suppose, 4) Could we get away speaking Spanish? Haha. I know, that's ignorant!

I would suspect I'll probably be posting a fair few other questions here. What a cool forum!

Greetings, from a fellow Slater :)

Hi and welcome to mozguide.

See my responses below:
So, the basic questions are (and I posted them here because it seems like it's the "safety" bit) are these:
1) My partner and I are on a self-drive in a 1.5l Swift/Polo equivalent and will be crossing from Zimbabwe at the beginning of October.
We'd ideally like to cross across at Espungabera and then head to Vilaculos - firstly, is this possible at this time in a 2wd and secondly, is it safe?
MIKE: you could manage Espungabera - Dombe - Buzi (main road EN.1.), but it really will be slow with a low vehicle, and you don't gain anything from a security point of view as the Muxungue to Save convoy is still ahead. I would go Mutare - Chimoio - Inchope - Save - etc. Some roadworks and potholed sections, but fine for sedan car. The Save - Muxungue convoy has been quiet for 3 weeks and is quite well managed. No guarantees of safety, but looking more promising than a month or two ago.

I assume that once we're south of the Save we're safe and everything - it's just those initial few hours that have me a bit spooked. From what I can see, though, there's been not a lot "happening" that way.
MIKE: Yes it is just the 2hrs with the convoy that can be stressful, then from Save southwards there have been no bandit issues.

2) Otherwise, do we have to go across at Sango? The same questions would apply here but the route/road looks a lot gnarlier here.
MIKE: No way. Firstly you would not get to Sango on Zim side as road needs high clearance vehicle and then from Mapai (railway station) to Guija is also not recommended for low cars.

3) We'd like to fly from Maputo to Nampula and get out to Ihle.. would this stretch of road be safe for public transport or transport at all? Better to try and get private?
MIKE: no problem on this road and plenty of fairly reliable public transport. Google Ilha Blue, Mozambique.

Oh and I suppose, 4) Could we get away speaking Spanish? Haha. I know, that's ignorant!
MIKE: yes spanish will be quite useful and the locals will appreciate that you don't expect them to speak English.

I would suspect I'll probably be posting a fair few other questions here. What a cool forum!
MIKE: anything for a fellow Slater. Are you from NZ? My mom grew up in Christchurch but she is a Beamish.

Over to you,

Mike.

Greetings, from a fellow Slater

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your post. Yeah, I'm from Auckland! What's Beamish?

So, what is the story with the convoy? When does it leave? And essentially, how long will we be in danger for once we cross the border and get to safety?
I don't particularly care about robbery or anything - I'm concerned about stray bullets or being shot/kidnapped, whatever.
Is there any way we can keep a much closer eye on the situation when it's closer to the time?

Do you think RENAMO and FRELIMO will come to a peace accord or is it just not going to happen?

Cheers my friend,
Adam.

Hi. My mother's maiden name is Beamish. From Mutare to Vilanculos is about 500km. This will take about 8hrs, and the armed convoy is on the 100km from Muxungue (Nova Golega) to the Save River which forms the boundary between Sofala and Inhambane provinces. So you will be " in danger" for about 2 hrs. Buses have been the prime target as Renamo accuse troops and police of using public transport. They are at front of convoy so perhaps drop back if close.

Muxungue - Save Convoy timetable:

1st convoy heads south from Muxungwe - to Save about 0600, but be there 0530. Then first north bound convoy Save - Muxungwe departs around 0900, but be there 0830. then Muxungwe - Save again at 1200, be there 1130, and finally Save - Muxungwe departs around 1500, but be there 1430. Times vary day to day and if you miss a convoy you will not be allowed to procede and will have to wait for next convoy - next day if last convoy has gone.

The peace talks are ongoing as we speak. Seems yesterday there was some progress, but cease-fire does seem quite a long way off, but here's hoping.

Go well and please update us of how you go.

Mike

mozman wrote: Hi and welcome to mozguide.

See my responses below:
We'd ideally like to cross across at Espungabera and then head to Vilaculos - firstly, is this possible at this time in a 2wd and secondly, is it safe?
MIKE: you could manage Espungabera - Dombe - Buzi (main road EN.1.), but it really will be slow with a low vehicle, and you don't gain anything from a security point of view as the Muxungue to Save convoy is still ahead. I would go Mutare - Chimoio - Inchope - Save - etc. Some roadworks and potholed sections, but fine for sedan car. The Save - Muxungue convoy has been quiet for 3 weeks and is quite well managed. No guarantees of safety, but looking more promising than a month or two ago.

I assume that once we're south of the Save we're safe and everything - it's just those initial few hours that have me a bit spooked. From what I can see, though, there's been not a lot "happening" that way.
MIKE: Yes it is just the 2hrs with the convoy that can be stressful, then from Save southwards there have been no bandit issues.

MIKE: No way. Firstly you would not get to Sango on Zim side as road needs high clearance vehicle and then from Mapai (railway station) to Guija is also not recommended for low cars.

MIKE: no problem on this road and plenty of fairly reliable public transport. Google Ilha Blue, Mozambique.

MIKE: yes spanish will be quite useful and the locals will appreciate that you don't expect them to speak English.

MIKE: anything for a fellow Slater. Are you from NZ? My mom grew up in Christchurch but she is a Beamish.

Over to you,

Mike.

Greetings, from a fellow Slater

Hi again,

We've actually upgraded to a Nissan Hardbody 4x4, so, is the Sango crossing a more viable option for us now?
Would it be quicker to get from Masvingo in Zim to Tofo this way rather than swinging down via the Kruger?
Do want to avoid central Moz if possible.

Here's another good question - where's the best place to store our 4x4 for the two or so weeks that we're up north? Does the airport have such facilities or are we best to stay at a fancy hotel in Maputo and ask if we can leave it there?

Looking forward to flying to Pemba (Kimbe beach is nice, right? Or are there nicer options?) and then bussing down to Ihle. Bloody excited. Ihle is pretty much what got us planning the original Cape to Cairo trip that we never did!

Cheers Monsieur Slater! :)

Scroll to top