Should I use convoys or are their alternatives?

Pedro007 replied the topic: Should I use convoys or are their alternatives?

Thank you for the information Mike. We are really looking forward to our time there.

I understood from one of your previous messages, that Machaila community camp isn't what it used to be and that you wouldn't recommend it anymore?

How were you findings at Zinave or didn't you spend a night there? Is there anywhere at Zinave best to spend a night? Also, how to best approach entrance of the parc? Is it at the north side, paralell to the Save river? Is there anything to shelter travellers/visitors at all?
I find it difficult to find concrete information on that.

Kind regards,

Pedro

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

mozman replied the topic: Should I use convoys or are their alternatives?

Hi Pedro

Yes I did stay a night in Zinave. The Tondo Lodge never opened but at least a few safari tents on brick platforms remain. Each has two beds, a table, 2 chairs and a wardrobe. They are not in good condition but was clean, the beds comfortable and the linen clean too. The ablution block is quite good with plenty of hot and cold running water.

The best route to get to Zinave and Tondo lodge depends on where you are coming from.

I went from Machaila to Mabote where I refueled and bought some fresh bread and vegetables. This route is shown on Garmin and on T4A.

I have also previously entered at the west gate between Massangena and Machaila. This road was then very overgrown, but it has been reopened recently. There was a very old sign showing the entrance, but no office or control boom or anything else showing it is an entrance. Note that this route is not the road shown running close to the Save River shown on some maps. It is quite far from the river and the track was not shown on Garmin or on t4A

If coming from Vilanculos or Inhassoro, I would not go via Mabote, but rather get to Pande town on the main road EN.1 and then basically follow the road parallel to the Save river (but a few km from the river so you don't see the river) to the eastern entrance to Zinave. The road has been improved and widened most of the way, but once you turn off to to Zinave at the signpost, the road gets quite bad and overgrown for the 35km to Covane and Tondo Lodge. This route is mostly shown on Garmin, but as the road has been realigned the actual route does vary from the GPS track.

Here are a few photos from Tondo Lodge at Zinave.

Machaila Community Camp

View from Tondo Lodge in Zinave fixed safari tent.

Front side of Tondo Lodge Zinave fixed safari tent.

Attachments:

Zinave fees are Mzn400 pp and per car entrance. Mzn400 pp camping and Mzn1200 per tent -two beds. Water is pumped from river so bring bottled water.

Mike

Zinave fees are Mzn400 pp and per car entrance. Mzn400 pp camping and Mzn1200 per tent -two beds. Water is pumped from river so bring bottled water.

Mike

Pedro007 replied the topic: Should I use convoys or are their alternatives?

Thank you very much Mike.

Your knowledge and subsequent good advice has been of a great help for us.

Kind regards,

Pedro

Only doing what I enjoy most, but many thanks for the recognition.

Mike

Scroll to top