This from www.sanparks.org : www.sanparks.org/about/news/default.php?id=1775

Visitors who travel through the Kruger National Park (KNP) using its
border gates as ports of entry or exit through to the neighbouring
countries such as Mozambique will be required to produce a valid
overnight booking in either Kruger or Limpopo National Park,
effectively from December 1, 2011.

The restrictions will apply at all entrance gates in the KNP leading
to the two border gates i.e. Pafuri and Giriyondo which are both found
in the Nxanatseni (northern) region of the park.

“The intention of some travellers, who made use of these two border
gates on a drive through basis, had a negative impact on the park
visitors. We had to introduce these control measure on those routes in
order to eliminate the undesired tendencies such as heavy laden, un-
roadworthy vehicles, speeding, road kills etc; all these which were
against the National Road Safety Act and spoiling the experience for
our park visitors; said the HOD: Public Relations, William Mabasa.

To allow visitors who have already planned their holiday schedule in
Mozambique but have not secured accommodation booking yet, an
additional fee of R150 per person will be charged to allow one to
travel via the Park; however one should still provide valid proof that
no accommodation is available in either of the two National Parks and
possess the required travel documents.

This option will only be
available for a period of six months; effectively from December 1,
2011. Essentially, without a confirmed booking and confirmation that
all facilities are fully booked, such travellers will be refused
admission and they would need to use other routes outside the Park
leading to their destination.

“The Pafuri and Giriyondo border gates are meant to afford tourists to
travel between the Greater Limpopo Transfrontier Parks without having
to exit the parks. The routes for the border gates are classified as
tourists roads and do not allow for commercial traffic therefore the
idea is to encourage people to travel from one national park to
another;” concluded Mabasa.

So the bottom-line is that until June 2012, even if you have no overnight Kruger booking, you should be allowed through on paying the extra R150 per vehicle, but after that you will have to have an overnight booking.

Mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Sahara replied the topic: Re: Warning for users of Giriyondo and Pafuri borders

Hi Mike,

Thank you for the info.

I agree with the reasoning behind the new rules but I hope the camps on the Limpopo / Moz side start to up their game in terms of accommodation and amenities (Kruger Park is usually full at this time of the year) and the last time I checked one could not get a meal or even a cold drink at either Albufeira or Aguia Pesqueira camps - which is fine if one is already camping but inconvenient if one is not. Also, for those travelling further north than Chidenguele or Xai-Xai, one has a VERY long drive ahead of you if you are forced to spend the night within the Park.

I would be interested in feedback from travelers using this route and especially info on the Albufeira & Aguia Pesqueira camps.

Thanks again.
S

mozman replied the topic: Re: Warning for users of Giriyondo and Pafuri borders

Hi

I know many people share your views but if you consider that Giriyondo's main purpose is to allow travel within the Greater Limpopo Transfrontier Park, i.e. between KNP (Kruger National Park) and PNL (Parque Nacional do Limpopo), then this 'new' (it was orinally part of the deal but not implemented) regulation makes sense.

I fully understand why folks would want to use Giri over the holiday seasons as Lebombo / Ressano Garcia can take up to 7hrs depending on what time and day you arrive or depart Moz.

Mike

Nguni replied the topic: Re: Warning for users of Giriyondo and Pafuri borders

Does anyone have any further news on this issue ?

We travelled through Giriyondo in Dec 11 without a KNP booking and had to pay R150 per person (irrespective of age) - not per vehicle. For a family of 5 it is a significant R750. Easy money for the Park and I felt ripped off.

For us in Limpopo the Giriyondo border post is the obvious choice when going to Moz and we used it regularly for our family holidays to Moz the past 5 years, sometimes staying over in Kruger but mostly just on our way through. Part of the fun for the family was driving through the park and doing some game viewing before hitting the beach. With the shorter holidays it is not always feasible to stay over in the Park.

I do not agree with the statement that the idea of Giriyondo was always intended only to allow access to the greater park - surely the infrastructure created and staffing does not justify only that ! I think someone rather got the "bright" idea that a quick buck can be made my milking the Moz tourists just taversing the park.

What about the locals Mozambicans using Pafuri as access point to come and buy supplies in SA - do the same rule apply ? I have met one more that one occasion local bakkies loaded with basic supplies such us mieliemeal etc crossing at Pafuri.

Surely the excuses of overloaded and speeding vehicles can be adressed through proper policing and a bit of leadership effort instead of spoiling it now for all of us.

mozman replied the topic: Re: Warning for users of Giriyondo and Pafuri borders

Hi

Over the years I have seen an increasing number of vehicles speeding through the Limpopo Park between Giriyondo and Massingir, showing complete contempt for ANY of the park regulations, and of course absolute disregard for anyone who is obeying the rules.

This situation really put me off using Giri again.

So, yes we suffer because of these idiots, but now that you will either stay in Kruger or Limpopo 2 nights, or pay (the pay option expires in a month), the transit crowd will hopefully use Lebombo, keeping Giriyondo for those of using it for what it was intended, i.e as a way of accessing the transfrontier park from SA, or Kruger from Moz side.

And, while hating to sound like a school-teacher, the fact that a regulation inconveniences anyone, does not make it bad. If it does not fulfil its purpose (i.e to prevent rat-running through Parque Nacional do Limpopo) then it is bad.

With regard to Pafuri. On the Moz side this in not part of the Limpopo Park, but a town called Pafuri, and the border has been there for decades, so I do not understand why the same principle can apply.

Mike (who has already booked the required two nights at Punda as he will be entering Moz via Pafuri in June)

AMJ replied the topic: Re: Warning for users of Giriyondo and Pafuri borders

Hi all

I am going to be spending some time in Kruger and then heading through the Giri border, spending one night in Limpopo NP and then heading to Tofo and beyond.

I will be travelling with someone on an EU passport.

Has anyone been through Giri recently who can confirm if it is possible to obtain a visa (30 day single entry) at the border?

Andrew

Scroll to top