Pafuri to Vilanculos (Limpopo drift crossing)

BS1601 replied the topic: Re: Pafuri to Vilanculos

@ Mike

Thanks a million for you prompt response and constant updates. If the river is not crossable what is our other option if we are there already.

@ CarolMc1

The info is noted and much appreciated.

@ Petri

I will be travelling in a Land Cuirser Pick Up Signle Cab I will be travelling alone.
I'll keep an i out.

What is your plan if you can cross the limpopo?

Attachment IMG_0304.JPG not found

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

BS1601 replied the topic: Re: Pafuri to Vilanculos

@ Petri - sorry if you CANT cross?

PJN replied the topic: Re: Pafuri to Vilanculos

@BS1601. If we can't cross we'll travel down to Massingeir dam and go via chokwe up to vilanculo. Only option, i think.

mozman replied the topic: Re: Pafuri to Vilanculos

Hi all

There are at least three scenarios you guys should all plan for:

1) The Limpopo is crossable and you manage to cross at Mapai (or at Pafuri), but once across there is heavy rain in the area and local streams come down in flood. In this case go alongside the railway line to Chokwe. This road is under construction so the company will keep it open during rain and also should assist if you get stuck.

2) The Limpopo is not crossable but you only find out once you are already at Mapai. There is not much rain in the area so you can now assess the risks of using the local "ferry" to cross at Mapai, or turn south into the Parque Nacional do Limpopo and travel through (about 11 hours) to Massingir. A complication of going through to Massingir could quite probably be that the Shingwedzi river also comes down in spate, and so you have to turn back to Pafuri and go through Kruger (if the Kruger people let you in without a booking).

3) You get to Pafuri in the pouring rain, the Limpopo is still low enough to cross but local roads are flooded so you can't get to the crossing point. You turn back into Kruger.

But that's not all folks, consider a possible fourth scenario: Before you depart for Moz, you hear via mozguide (or other source) that the Limpopo level is too high to dive through and so you decide to go via Giriyondo, Ressano Garcia, or just to go to Margate instead.

Will report on what's happending on the ground at Pafuri and Mapai, tomorrow (4 Dec 2012).

Mike

CarolMc1 replied the topic: Re: Pafuri to Vilanculos

Good luck

mozman replied the topic: Re: Pafuri to Vilanculos

Just spoke to my man in Mapai and he says (quote): "No water in Mapai and no rain". Also spoke to a very helpful lady Constable at Pafuri border and she says vehicles are driving through the Limpopo without problems.

Mike

Scroll to top