Pafuri to Vilanculos (Limpopo drift crossing)

mozman replied the topic: Re: Pafuri to Vilanculos (Limpopo drift crossing)

Hi

yes you could go Giriyondo - through the Parque Nacional do Limpopo to Mapai and cross the Limpopo then go Machaila - Mabote - Vilanculs. Machaila - Mabote in the dry season is done by locals in 2WD bakkies so really quite easy. Did this route in October last year.

Giriyondo to Mapai is about 4-5hrs, if you take it easy. Stay over at Campismo Nhampfule - if you have overnighted in Kruger no booking need, otherwise you will need to show a booking to be allowed to use Giriyondo border.

Mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

today is May 11, 2013 and i have just spoken to my man in Mapai by phone and he says no one is driving through the Limpopo yet but that the local home made barge is taking vehicles across every day for MT 1500
Mike

PajeroFan replied the topic: Re: Pafuri to Vilanculos (Limpopo drift crossing)

Thanks Mike

At this moment I have a booking for Campismo Aguaia for Sunday 30 June and then we plan to travel to Campismo Nhampfula on the 1st of July, so if all goes well we would like to cross the Limpopo on Tuesday 2nd of July.
Am I correct if I say that travelling from Aguaia to Nhampfula will take 5 - 6 hours?
Are there a campsite at Lake Banamana where we must book or is it a Bush Camp?
How long will it take to travel from Nhamphula to Lake Banamana?
How long will it take to travel form Lake Nanamana to Vilanculos?

All your help and info are much appreciated.

Regards
Cecile

phoned my man in Mapai on 12 May 2013 and he confirms no vehicles driving through the Limpopo yet but daily crossings on the local homemade barge for MT1500 per vehicle.
By Juyl the Limpopo river is usually low enough for a safe crossing.
Mike
sorry can add your time estimates correct and yes no formal camp at Banamana but I usually camp in the wooded area a few km past the steel Bailey bridge that crosses the Banamana stream (usually dry).
Mike

Just got an email from a contact who crossed the Limpopo at Mapai on the local home made barge. They went via Giriyondo and Nhampfule (Mapai Gate) - the Pafuri border is still closed for repairs after the floods. The barge costs MT1600 per vehicle.

he says that the log causeway has been washed away and the barge is likely going to be the best way to cross for about a month to come- todays date is May 20, 2013.
Mike

hi all
courtesy of one of the good people that I correspond with here is a photo of a Land rover using the Limpopo barge on about May 10. 2013
Mike

Attachments:

Scroll to top