Moamba road

Wal created the topic: Moamba road

Does anyone have an update on the Moamba shortcut?
I'm talking about the road on the Eastern side of the river ie: the Sabi route - is it passable? I would like to use it next week to Bilene.
I read a few feedbacks on the roads stating a bridge was washed out, but can't figure out on which of the two routes?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

mozman replied the topic: Moamba road

Hi Wal

I think I must clarify details regarding the two alternative routes between Moamba and Xinavane and then on to the main road EN.1, 125km north of Maputo.

Route 1 (east or south bank of the Incomati): Moamba - Xinavane - E.N.1 direct. Distance Moamba toll gate to E.N.1 128km.
This route does not cross the Incomati river. Condition during the wet season (Nov to May) is usually worse than the alternative route (see below). During the dry season this route is sometimes maintained by Tongaat Hulett sugar based at Xinavane so can be in fairly good condtion. Wet season definately 4x4 only, dry season, 2WD high clearance OK. Wet season ave speed about 30kph, dry season ave speed 60kph.

Route 2 (west or north bank of the Incomati): Moamba - cross Incomati River - Sabie - Magude - back across Incomati on rail bridge - Xinavane - E.N.1. Distance toll gate to E.N.1 136km.
This route crosses the Incomati river 3km from Moamba towards Xinavane. Turn left at the sign to Sabie (you will be able to see the bridge), cross the Incomati and carry on for about 35km to Sabie and then about 63km to Magude. The rail bridge across the Incomati is on the north edge of Magude and you may have to wait if a train is approaching. Cross the rail bridge (one-way) and on the other side, turn left towards Xinavane and the E.N.1. This route is mostly on higher ground and is usually in better condition than the other route in the wet season.

And so to your question. Note that, during the wet season (Nov to May), both routes can be affected by washed away bridges during flooding. On Route 2, In December of 2013 a bridge over the Massintonto River, about 10km from Magude was down and this blocked this route. This bridge has been repaired, so currently route 2 is open and recommended. On Route 1, in March 2014, a bridge over the Incomati river floodplain, about 15km from Xinavane, just before the junction to Magude, was damaged, blocking this route. I do not know whether this route is open again.

So my advice is to use Route 2 for the foreseeable future.

Go well and please report back.

Mike

Wal replied the topic: Moamba road

Many Thanks Mike - now THAT'S a cool detailed answer!

It also seems I have publically embarrased myself by not knowing my East from West! :whistle: - I have driven route #2 many times :) .
We came back from Bilene early in January and the road was in pretty good shape, the only portion that quite corrugated and rough is between Sabi and the bridge back to Moamba, but with lowered tyre pressures it relatively OK going.
The only (very small) draw-back is ... that if you drive it early in the morning - the cows have used it first, and dodging copious amounts of dung is not always possible thus a car-wash is required!
I will drive this way (Route #2)end of the week and let you know the latest state of the route
Rgds

Thanks Wal
Feedback is always greatly appreciated by all users of this forum.
Mike

Thanks Wal
Feedback is always greatly appreciated by all users of this forum.
Mike

boomerang1 replied the topic: Moamba road

Any update on this route? Did it rain much in the last week? We plan to use this route on thr 25th of April.

Scroll to top