Moamba road

mozman replied the topic: Moamba road

Both routes open. South bank road in worse condition than north. Mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

boomerang1 replied the topic: Moamba road

Thanks Mike! Roll on Saturday. Our first trip, but with families who have done it before...

A friend just drove Goba - Moamba - Magude (via south bank of Incomati river route) - Chokwe - cross Limpopo - Guija (Canicado) - Chibuto - Chongoene (main road north of Xai-Xai. Moamba to near Xinavane very rough at present and bridge down just before bridge over Incomati to Magude, but drive around possible. There is also a bridge cut between Chokwe and Chibuto but also a viable detour around bridge through the stream available. Both routes 4x4 territory and not possible during or after heavy rain.

I asked him whether he had any problems with the notorious "transitos" (transit police) and this is what he commented:
"I was stopped for apparently doing 87kph after one of those towns near quissico. Mts 4000 was requested, changed to Mts2000 then "how much have you got?" And when I balked at that nothing. There in no way I was doing 87 anyway so it may have been a previous reading. I must say I have never had a problem nor ever paid a fine or bribe in the 50 or so years I've been going there. Maybe I have a nice face!"

Mike

Wal replied the topic: Moamba road

Hi,
I also drove the road (route#2) in mid April.
For others who want to use it in the near future ....Overall the condition is not too bad at all
The "tar" section between the highway and Moamba, through town, and up to where the dirt road begins over the bridge - is Shocking! - If there was a "pot-hole-to-tar-ratio" ...Tar would lose!
The dirt road is in fact in better shape than the tar road.
I drove it in the pouring rain, and apart from having to veer around some really dug-up sections where guys have obviously previously got stuck & spun the road to pieces - the going was not bad.
The portion leading up to Sabi seems a lot less rutted (corrugated) and the sandy sections were in good condition.
Even in the mud and rain, the substrate of the road is firm and easily driveable.
I comfortably managed an 80kmh average from Moamba to Magude - no problem.
Will use it again mid-June :)

Thanks Wal

I will always use the Sabie option too

Mike

Wal replied the topic: Moamba road

Hi Mike,
How's the Moamba-Sabi-Magude shortcut at the moment? Any bridge failures/rain wash-aways recently?
I drove it in December & it was in pretty good shape B) .
Thx

Scroll to top