Trip to Lake Chicamba and back via Gorongosa NP

immoliner created the topic: Trip to Lake Chicamba and back via Gorongosa NP

Hello all together
I am new to this forum and have already researched diligently in the interesting and informative posts.

We intend to travel in September 2013 with three vehicles on the Route Pafuri, Mapai, Machaila, Massangena, Chidoco, Machasi, Espungabera, Dombe, Rotonda, to Lake Chicamba.
Unfortunately Pafuri is still closed. As an alternative, we would go over Giriyondo by the LNP to Mapai.

The journey leads us from Lake Chicamba via Chimoio, Inchope to the Gorongosa National Park, and then on the EN1 to Inhassoro and further south along the coast in stages up to Maputo and back to JHB.

My question is whether this area north of the Save river can be visited again, or whether certain areas are better avoided.
For tips on camping places along the route to Lake Chicamba I would be also very interested.

Thank you for your help, especially to Mozman for his forum.
Walter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

mozman replied the topic: Re: Trip to Lake Chicamba and back via Gorongosa NP

Hi there Walter
apologies for the slow reply.

First off let's all hope that by September the Pafuri border will have been reopened. I was up there mid July 2013 and it was all cleaned up and rebuilt but the problem, so I was told, was that the electricity and telkom links were still giving problems so computers could not be used.

So I would look up Home Affairs in Thohoyandou as they appear to be responsible for Pafuri Port of Entry. When I last tried to phone the lines to Pafuri Police were still down.

The Limpopo has been drivable at Pafuri and Mapai for a few months already, so that is at least not an issue.

With Renamo still refusing to take part in the political processes in Mozambique (Renamo has missed the deadline for registrations for the November 20 Municipal elections), the possibility of further bandit attacks, while currently not likely, simply cannot be ignored.

There are still troops surrounding the Renamo base at Satunjira near Monte Gorongosa, and armed convoys twice daily between Muxungue and the Save river, so the Moz government is still taking the threat of more violence very seriously.

Buy for now, at least, it seems all quite on the Sofala front.

I did almost your exact route last year (with a detour to Banhine and Zinave) and also in a Terios a few years ago: www.leisurewheels.co.za/uncategorized/mo...s-%E2%80%93-part-ii/

We camped at Nhampfule near Mapai then bush-camped about 20km before Massangena, next night at Ndzou Camp in Moribane forest, then plan was to go via Mavita and to enter Zimbabwe at Rotunda / Cashel but this border is for foot traffic only and so, just before Rotunda village a local pointed out a road heading towards the Machipanda / Forbes Post border via Manica town.

Not a straightforward route and we asked for directions at each junction but it was scenic and quite easy to drive. You meet the Zim - Chimoio road just East of Manica town, then its a short distance to the Casa Msika turn off RHS. This was approx our route: goo.gl/maps/pTl2P

I see there is the Virginia Msika Fishing Challenge at Casa Msika end Aug:
www.facebook.com/casa.msika

Then for Gorongosa look up Gorongosa Adventures and tell Sakkie van Zyl that I sent you:
gorongosa-adventures.blogspot.com/

and here is a brilliant trip report that covers the first part of your intended trip:
4x4community.co.za/forum/showthread.php?t=156050

boa viagem and a trip report on your return will be highly appreciated:

Mike

immoliner replied the topic: Re: Trip to Lake Chicamba and back via Gorongosa NP

Hi there Mike,
thank you very much for your quick response, you do not need to apologize! We should apologize to bother you with our questions!

Regarding the border crossing at Pafuri: We had already booked for Pafuri River Camp and try now to reserve in Letaba. Maybe we'll still lucky with Pafuri.
Does' it makes sense to cross the Limpopo at Pafuri, is the road better along the right bank?

The detailed travel report by Jannie Kubu4x4 I had already read. If we can't go north, we will drive this way to Inhassaro and then along the coast to the south.

Where can we best ask along the route about the security situation? Do you think that we can rely on the locals with their estimation?

I'll try to post a trip report, but won't promise. English is not my native language, a hat tip to Google ;-)

Greetings from Zurich,
Walter

mozman replied the topic: Re: Trip to Lake Chicamba and back via Gorongosa NP

Hi Walter
Mein frau spreche Deutsche
With the Limpopo flowing low it does not make much difference whether you cross at Mapai or at Pafuri. A month ago i drove Pafuri to Chicualacuala on mostly good gravel which took 2 easy hours. From there to Mapai Station is under road works and 80kph ok. Mapai River to Pafuri on the south bank was.graded before the January floods but was then damaged. again but still better than before so 2hrs. instead of 3hrs.

When I ask local people about the Renamo situation they are generally quite well informed but the lodges that you stay at will have more useful info from travellers coming from the north.

Mike

Scroll to top