Musina to Lilongwe

Dupless1 created the topic: Musina to Lilongwe

• Dupless1
  • Dupless1's Avatar Topic Author

Hi Mike,

This is my first time, the info on you forums is very helpfull - thanks !
My wife has booked 5 days at Lukoma island on Lake Malawi, and I am quite unfamiliar with this part of the country (Apart from Vic Falls, Maputo, Ponta de Oura etc.)
Seems like Beit Bridge WILL be a challenge, I will prepare mentally for that. I am concerned about my planned traveling times as we have to catch a small Plane at Lilongwe. Current plans as follows:

26 Dec - Sleep over at Musina (good day for Beit bridge ? Should we move like 04h00 AM to avoid the rush?)
27 Dec - Stay over around Harare / Tete
28 Dec - Last stretch to Lilongwe (Gotta catch the plane at 15h00)

GPS distances are as follows :
Musina - Harare : 598km
Harare - Tete : 377km
Tete - Lilongwe : 359km

The way back should be ok because we have much more time - can adapt.
Accommodation in the Harare / Tete area proved to be problematic. by the time we discovered the links on your Forum, it was too late - all full !!

Only option remaining is to pack a tent and the basics and sleep where ever we can find a spot. How secure is this in Tete ?

Just two questions :
1. Is this do-able ?
2. Do we need a VISA or special docs for Malawi ?

Much appreciated.
Stephen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

mozman replied the topic: Musina to Lilongwe

Hi Stephen

apologies for reply delay. See my responses within your queries below:

Firstly it is ESSENTIAL that you get a police clearance certificate for your vehicle. The testing stations will be closed so go to your local police station and get them to stamp a copy of your reg documents and also type and print a letter saying that you (Full name and passport number) have been certified as the owner of (full details of vehicle as on reg papers) - ask the police to stamp and sigh this document. There is a scam operating at most Zim border posts whereby they tell you that your vehicle has been reported stolen by Interpol and it will cost you $200 for them to clear the vehicle. Also carry a police certified copy of the insurance details of your vehicle.

26 Dec - Sleep over at Musina (good day for Beit bridge ? Should we move like 04h00 AM to avoid the rush?)
MIKE:Beitbridge is open 24 hrs so I would go direct to the border and if the queue seems OK then skip the night at Musina and carry on. BEST TO GO VIA MUTARE. Overnight at Mutare (Ann Bruce guesthouse 99 Fourth Street Tel:00 263 20 63569) where I have stayed dozens of times:

27 Dec - Stay over around Harare / Tete
MIKE: Be at the Forbes Post / Machipanda border (10km from Mutare) at 0600 when it opens then go Manica - Nova Vanduzi - Changara - Tete - Dedza - Lilongwe. This is over 800km and will take you about 10hrs on the road plus an hour or three for borders and stops. The Dedza border closes at 1800 so no time to mess around. If it looks like you will not make Dedza then you will have to through Zobue / Mwanza which is 24 hrs. You could stay at the Mwanza hotel before carrying on to Lilongwe (note the turn-off long before Blantyre).
28 Dec - Last stretch to Lilongwe (Gotta catch the plane at 15h00)

GPS distances are as follows :
Musina - Harare : 598km
MIKE: About the same Musina - Mutare.

Harare - Tete : 377km
MIKE: Mutare to Tete 450km.

Tete - Lilongwe : 359km
MIKE: Is this via Zobue or Dedza - by far the best route to Lilongwe is via Dedza.

The way back should be ok because we have much more time - can adapt.
Accommodation in the Harare / Tete area proved to be problematic. by the time we discovered the links on your Forum, it was too late - all full !!
MIKE: Join the overland forum on google groups and search for Harare Accommodation - LOTS of great info there.

Only option remaining is to pack a tent and the basics and sleep where ever we can find a spot. How secure is this in Tete ?
MIKE: Not a good idea close to Tete - perhaps pull down a side road 50km before Tete and ask permission from the 'chefe' or chief to camp at one of the little villages.

Just two questions :
1. Is this do-able ?
MIKE: Yes, but don't bet on an ave speed of more than 80kph in Moz.

2. Do we need a VISA or special docs for Malawi ?
MIKE: South Africans don't need visa for Zim, Moz or Malawi BUT make sure you have that vehicle clearance letter from the police or you could be in big trouble going in or out of Zim - especially at Nyamapanda (and I hear Chirundu too).

Take is easy, fill up wherever possible, even if tank is still half full and let us all know how it goes.

Was up at Likoma and stayed at Kaya Mawa doing a recce for a TV prod a few years ago.

Mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Scroll to top