Vehicle requirements

sean.franklin created the topic: Vehicle requirements

• sean.franklin
  • sean.franklin's Avatar Topic Author

Hi Mike. Great website, thanks for providing so much info. I'm travelling to Montanha lodge inhambane in April this year. They mention you need an all wheel drive vehicle with sufficient ground clearance, however I have friends that mention you need a proper 4x4 with low range + diff. Will normal SUV's with all wheel drive be sufficient to get to the lodge ( the last km or so is on beach dunes) and I'd also like to be able to traverse the beach front from the lodge up to makolo bay and barra lodge.

Thanks for the help

Sean

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

mozman replied the topic: Vehicle requirements

I

I have not been to Montanha but yes going up steep dunes could be low-range territory. I have also not driven an X3 but gut feel is not a good vehicle for real 4x4 stuff. However, as it is only for 1km, contact the lodge for advice and arrange recovery if needed.

I have also not driven on a beach in Moz - last man in Africa who respects the law, I suppose....?

Mike

heikei replied the topic: Vehicle requirements

• heikei

Somebody who knows , where to hire a 4x4-car in Nampula
or in Pemba ????
Thanks for reply
HEIKEI

mozman replied the topic: Vehicle requirements

Look up www.kaskazini.com

Mike

Nigel Hallowes replied the topic: Vehicle requirements

• Nigel Hallowes

Hi guys, unless things have changed then you will need a decent 4 x 4 to get to Montana. If you go in a soft one you will be restricted to getting in and out. the beach can also be soft especially when there are a lot of people. You wont need low range but 4 x 4 without traction control is advisable.

Scroll to top