Car Hire from Jo'burg to Maputo

lucie_w created the topic: Car Hire from Jo'burg to Maputo

• lucie_w
  • lucie_w's Avatar Topic Author

Hi
We are planning on spending a week in SA before heading to Inhambane at the end of February. Is it possible to hire a car in Jo'burg and drop it off in Maputo? If so which company should we contact?
Look forward to hearing from you.
Lucie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

lucie_w replied the topic: Car Hire from Jo'burg to Maputo

• lucie_w
  • lucie_w's Avatar Topic Author

Hi
We have since decided to head straight to Maputo and not waste anytime around Jo'burg. We are thinking of hiring a car in Maputo and heading south over the border to see a friend before heading to Inhambane.
However I have been told that you cannot take a rental car south - is this true of all rental cars?
Do you have the name of a rental car company in Maputo?
Many thanks
Lucie

mozman replied the topic: Car Hire from Jo'burg to Maputo

Hi Lucie

Apologies for the reply delay - I have been out of Internet range.

If you mean that you cannot take an ordinary (non- 4x4) south, then that is true as roads to the south of Maputo are for 4x4 only, and with all the rain even then you could get properly bogged down. If you mean that cars hired in Maputo are not permitted into South Africa, I am not sure what the position is, but I think you will not be. Avis is a reputable company that operates in most southern African countries including Mozambique, see: www.avis.co.za/main.asp?ID=508 According to www.avis.co.za it is not possible to hire in SA and drop off in Moz, and vehicles hired in SA will only be allowed into Moz under "exceptional circumstances".

Cheers

Mike

Travelissimo replied the topic: Car Hire from Jo'burg to Maputo

• Travelissimo

In reading this, I am hoping you don't need a 4x4 to travel from Komatipoort to Maputo? Those roads look pretty major.

chikoto replied the topic: Car Hire from Jo'burg to Maputo

hey there - no definitely not! the road is good tar all the way (90km) in to maputo from komatipoort. couple of tolls on the way so have a browse through the forum for details on that.

as for the roads in maputo, enjoy:
www.mg.co.za/articlePage.aspx?articleid=...ght/insight__escape/

mozman replied the topic: Car Hire from Jo'burg to Maputo

Thanks Chikoto

The Ressano Garcia/Lebombo border (hours 0500 to 2200) and Komatipoort are WEST of Maputo, not south. Now EAST of Maputo the roads get even more interesting.

Cheers

Mike

Scroll to top