Rent a 4x4 SA or Mozambique

tmikunda84 created the topic: Rent a 4x4 SA or Mozambique

• tmikunda84
  • tmikunda84's Avatar Topic Author

Hi, next holiday will be my second time to SA and first to MZB, having issues about how to get around.

Should I hire a 4x4 camper at around 22000 ZAR, for 3 weeks, or hire a normal 4x4 for 13000ZAR and stay in a tent or lodges? Does it make a difference?
It is better to rent in mozambique to avoid the hassle of crossing the border in a rented car???

Thanks, Tom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

mozman replied the topic: Rent a 4x4 SA or Mozambique

Much cheaper and far better quality rentals in SA for 4x4 campers. Rent the camper as it will come with all the necessities and nice to haves.

Mike

tmikunda84 replied the topic: Rent a 4x4 SA or Mozambique

• tmikunda84

Hey thanks for the reply,

Does the price difference justify having a 4x4 camper, the cheapest at 23000ZAR for the 23 days compared to a Mazda drifter 4x4 at 14000ZAR, for the extra 9000 could you not better take a tent and switch between ground camping, chalets or guest houses?

Finally, is there benefits in terms of safety of having a ground or roof tent?

Thanks, Tom

With the big price differential I would go for the non-camper but then you will have to buy cookers, chairs, pots, cutlery etc etc in addition to the tent.

Rooftop tents are great for convenience and not having to find suitable ground to pitch on. Also gets you up into the breezes which is not only comfortable but keeps mosquitoes at bay.

Safety? From animals perhaps the rooftop a bit better but then at height of an elephant's eye, from humans - no difference.

I almost always prefer to camp than stay in a chalet or guesthouse.

Mike

tmikunda84 replied the topic: Rent a 4x4 SA or Mozambique

• tmikunda84

Hi Mozman,

Found a Freelander 2 with ground tent and fridge for around ZAR750 per day. Just got to convince the girlfriend that no nasties are gonna get her at night.

Thanks for your help.

Tom

Very good vehicle. If it is a diesel note that no LS or ULS diesel is available anywhere in Moz but all petrol is now lead free or lead replacement to no worries there. Now all you need are a gas bottle, cooker, a few pots and plates and you're set.

Make sure that you know how the fridge works - ask the rental what make and model it is.

Mike

Scroll to top