Rent a 4x4 SA or Mozambique

tmikunda84 replied the topic: Rent a 4x4 SA or Mozambique

• tmikunda84
  • tmikunda84's Avatar Topic Author

Sorry Mozman, it is the TD4 2.2 turbo diesel, I have no idea if it needs LS or ULS. The vehicle is coming from Lazurus Pretoria as recommended by a few people on this website, they know I'm going to Moz but not mentioned anything about fuel type requirements. I have read somewhere that diesel is easier to find than petrol in Moz.

Tom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

mozman replied the topic: Rent a 4x4 SA or Mozambique

Yes diesel (and these days) petrolquite easy to find, BUT the issue is LOW SULPHUR or ULTRA LOW SULPHUR diesel as some late models have a particulate filter in addition to the catalytic convertor which can get blocked if ULS diesel is used - possible engine failure the result.

So if the Freelander cannot operate on standard diesel, then ask for the petrol version - you will not have any problems finding unleaded and LRP petrol.

Mike

• tmikunda84

Hi Mozman, thanks for the info. This car hire lark is a complete mine field. Ive been in contact with SMH Car Hire and Lazarus. Excesses, cross-border fees, delivery charges there is so much to consider.
I have had SMH Car Hire bad mouthing Lazarus saying that their vehicles are old and have high mileage, but then a review from somebody about tyres on a Discovery 3 from SMH in October 2008 is disturbing > www.travelpod.com/travel-blog-entries/du...1227373740/tpod.html

You mentioned you are from Johannesburg i think, from your experience or anybody elses, what should I do?

Marthinus Philippus replied the topic: Rent a 4x4 SA or Mozambique

• Marthinus Philippus

Try "Britz car hire South Africa" and then the "britz 4 x 4 hire" which is in Johannesburg. They might not be cheaper but it would give you another option
Good luck!
For what period do you require the vehicle and to which areas?

• tmikunda84

Hi, i need it for 24 days in October. I want to go through the Kruger Park to the Giriyondo border crossing, then to the Moz coast up to Vilanculos.

• tmikunda84

Hey Mozman,

Just realized you are the author of the globetrotter travel pack I just bought off Amazon.

Funny, but should have guessed it.

Looking forward to read it when it arrives.

Tom

Scroll to top