4x4 hire

roxy1951 created the topic: 4x4 hire

• roxy1951
  • roxy1951's Avatar Topic Author

Hi Mike

I wonder if you can help. I know the forum is on Mozambique but I think you are from South Africa.

I will be going to Mozambique next September. I intend to hire a un-equipped 4x4 out of Johannesburg. I found two, Bushtrackers and Zuri Africa Travel Services. Can you recommend anymore or can anyone who reads the Mozguide recommend any that are reasonably priced and realiable.

Also I asked about accommodation in Mulange earlier in the year, do you know anything abour Kara O'Mula Country Lodge.

Regards

Mick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Ramer replied the topic: 4x4 hire

• Ramer

Hi Mick!

I dealt with a similar issue and managed to narrow my choices to this 4 options:

sa.keacampers.com/Rates.aspx?pageid=101&catid=30&lang=en
www.4x4hire.co.za/veh_rentals.htm
www.ivory4x4rental.co.za/4x4-vehicles
britz.co.za/5.Our_4_X_4_Vehicles.html

I'm only now starting to send e-mails to this guys.
Atention to incomplete budget estimates that may hide nasty surprises and to insurance cover.
Try your chances and give us a feedback.

Rui

It's not odd that Zuri Africa Trvl has only prices for 2008 on site? :-(

mozman replied the topic: 4x4 hire

Hi Mick

Thanks - please let us know detailed results as 4x4 hire into (and in) Moz is quite a hassle. My experience is that, while many rental companies claim on their websites to offer Moz, the reality may be that the surcharges, claim excesses etc can make the cost way too high. Also companies are coming and going - so if info on website is out of date my guess is that they may not be reliable.

A few points: As standard NO RENTAL COMPANIES(either in SA or in Moz) offer drop-offs at any other towns other than where you start. This can be negotiated but then you will have to pay the price of flying a driver to the drop-off town, his accommodation and also the cost of him driving the vehicle back to Maputo - will probably double your overall expense so only for the rich or on a U.N budget.

I think that rental of a 4x4 from Maputo, with, for example, Europcar at unlimited km, is probably reasonably priced BUT I do not know of any Moz company that offers all the Safari gear. So if you want a camper it will have to be from SA (no other country around Moz offers this anyway).

Mike

roxy1951 replied the topic: 4x4 hire

• roxy1951
  • roxy1951's Avatar Topic Author

Thanks Mike and Rui

I will let you know the outcome on the 4x4.

At the moment Bushtrakers do not have prices for next year and also they are not sure on vehicles. They were one of the only ones which let you go into Mozambique. We will be doing a round trip from Johannesburg through Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Mozambique and then back to Johannesburg so drop-off isn't a problem. All contact I have had with them over the last few months regarding routes and car hire they have been very helpful. Pricewise based on this years prices they were very reasonable. I couldn,t find any hidden extras only cross border fees which was a one off payment no matter how many countries you entered. Plus all the normal things you get with car hire like cleaning, which with some you don,t know until you return the car as we had after driving round Namibia for 3 weeks with the windows open and the black upholstery turned white.

Anything Mike on Kara O'Mula Lodge in Mulange?.

Rui, I will take a look at the sites you posted. Zuri Travel site have prices till July 31st 09 perhaps they updating. I have emailed but had no reply yet.

Thanks again

Mick

mozman replied the topic: 4x4 hire

Hi Mick

Sorry have not heard of Kara O'Mula

and thanks for the feedback.

Mike

Scroll to top