4X4 hire in Maputo?

Zambezi created the topic: 4X4 hire in Maputo?

• Zambezi
  • Zambezi's Avatar Topic Author

Hi,
We're French and planning a 3 weeks trip in Moz in October. It seems that hiring a 4X4 is a must if we want to reach the north and the best spots?
All the fully equipped 4X4, with camping equipment and tent on the roof, we can find come from SA. Is there any reliable rental company in Maputo where we could hire a Hilux?
Thanks for your help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

mozman replied the topic: 4X4 hire in Maputo?

You will not be able to hire a safari equipped vehicle in Mozambique - Europcar has Mazda and Mitsubishi 4x4 double - cabs that are reliable at a reasonable rate. (compared with other options in Moz). www.europcar.co.mz Also look up Imperial and Hertz in Maputo.

From SA I would use www.bushlore.com for fully equipped vehicles - my own experience is excellent!

Let us know what you decide - this is a frequently asked question.

Mike

Tony Weaver replied the topic: 4X4 hire in Maputo?

• Tony Weaver

The Bushlore rates look good. I presume that you're the person who made contact with me earlier re vehicle hire? If the Maputo rates are much better, why not go without the camping equipment, and use chalets and restaurants throughout? There are places, like Pomene Lodge, where you won't be able to get reasonably priced chalets, but most other places you will spend in the region of $30 to $60 a night for an equipped chalet, or even less, and meals are generally very well priced (on average for a family of four we would spend about $30 to $40 for dinner, including drinks).

Zambezi replied the topic: 4X4 hire in Maputo?

• Zambezi

Came back last week after 3 weeks in a wonderful country!

We finally decided on Bushlore, car delivered and picked up in Maputo. Excellent condition, well equiped, new tyres. A simple 4X4 hired in Maputo was as expensive as the fully equiped Hilux from SA.

In fact we hardly camped because accomodation is indeed very cheap and there are very few camp sites in the north. Hardly cooked because food is so cheap, so a simple 4X4 would have been enough.

mozman replied the topic: 4X4 hire in Maputo?

Hi
glad it all went well. Camping can be the only option during the Easter and Christmas (Dec 10 - Jan 10) SA holiday periods when most accommodation is fully booked 6 months in advance.

And Bushlore right now seem to be the best option for 4x4 hire, outside of Moz.

Mike

Zambezi replied the topic: 4X4 hire in Maputo?

• Zambezi

I would not say they are the best option outside of Moz, found much cheaper in Namibia and Zambia for same vehicle

Scroll to top