Expats in Angola

mozman replied the topic: Expats in Angola

There will be 'local' restaurants not frequented by expats which will be a fraction of that price - then of course there are the bazars and mercados.

Mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mario.Ferreira replied the topic: Expats in Angola

• Mario.Ferreira

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by canberra</i>
<br />[...]How do the locals eat?!! <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mozman</i>
<br />There will be 'local' restaurants not frequented by expats which will be a fraction of that price [...]<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
I did visited Luanda in May-2006 for 16 days and found it extremely expensive !! Prices on restaurants are insane !! One single entree at any regular restaurant may cost 25 euros straight. Then one may also want to add appetizers or starters, beverage of course, and a dessert, and ...., then expect a big bill !!

Two more hints:
1) a Taxi ride (if one is lucky to get a Taxi available) starts with $20 USD.
2) Nightlife: an entry ticket for a any nice nightclub is usually $20 USD per person.

Not long ago at a restaurant in Luanda a good friend of mine paid 90 USD (ninety US dollars) for a bottle of <b>Monte Velho</b>, a popular portuguese red wine from the Alentejo region that usually costs €3 (three euros) in any supermarket in Portugal.

I've lived 3 years in Manhattan (NYC, USA) from 2000 until 2003 and I'm not lying when saying that Luanda, Angola's capital, is more expensive than New York City !!!

However, despite the extremely high cost of living, it seems that nowadays Angola is welcoming waves of emigrants. Official statistics say that last year alone (in 2005) about 12,000 Portuguese people emigrated to Angola. Economy is booming over there. Thus Angola looks now like the new "<i>el dorado</i>" for many Portuguese !!

BTW, you may click on the URL below to see my Tips & Pictures from Angola & Luanda:
members.virtualtourist.com/m/m/b50e3/

-Mário-

Thanks Mario

Great insights and think I'll stick to Joburg for a while where a decent bottle of vinho in good restaurant costs US15.

Mike

n/a replied the topic: Expats in Angola

• n/a

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mozman</i>
<br />Thanks MarioGreat insights and think I'll stick to Joburg for a while where a decent bottle of vinho in good restaurant costs US15.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

"joburg" is not relevant to the subject.

Albany hostels
- New Orleans hostels

True, unless you like wine.

Mike

Scroll to top