wow....

esperanca created the topic: wow....

• esperanca
  • esperanca's Avatar Topic Author

I have been thinking of moving back to Luanda, Angola where I was born and raised. I am a single woman and looking at all the information posted here, I don't believe that I would survive living in Luanda. It seems extremely expensive and crowded. I apreciate all the information though. Does anyone know where to get a job in Luanda?
thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

mozman replied the topic: wow....

Hi

I would certainly go back with an open mind. You clearly speak Portuguese and are well educated (otherwise you would not be using mozguide) and with the incredible boom in the Angolan economy (fastest in the world), I would be very surprised if you could not find a good job. Yes but I know it's hellishly expensive so it could be difficult managing while you wait for the that first paycheck.

I am seeing my Luanda friends tonight and I will ask them for advice on your behalf.

Mike

chikoto replied the topic: wow....

some really useful info on...
www.mozguide.com/fala/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=371

I had a long chat with my friends. They are a family with two young daughters, he is originally from Australia and she is a South African German. They both agreed that you should ideally find a job before going to Luanda, and that the Luanda you knew is now very delapidated and any memories you have of a blissfull childhood will be shattered when you see the place now.

However there are excellent opportunities for someone such as yourself and here are some companies and organizations you should contact (use Google).
Total, Caltex, and any of the United Nations branches such as UNDP, UNHCR, UNICEF, WFP etc.

A suggestion was that perhaps you shouldn't limit yourself to staying in Luanda as Lobito is also now developing fast and is cheaper to stay in than Luanda.

Of course much depends on what qualifications, skills and experience you have, and what your motives are for wanting to return to Luanda.

Keep searching the net, especially the blogs (I googled Luanda blog and came up with good sites) as I am sure you will find people living in Angola to directly correspond with.

The South African Embassy has a great Angola site: www.sambangola.info/angola/acc.htm where I see that the Hotel Panorama has rooms for $44 single. Also look up www.luandahash.com The Hash House Harriers is worldwide social running club with wonderfully friendly members and hsustyle.travellerspoint.com/8/ and www.travelblog.org/Africa/Angola/Luanda/

Good luck and please keep in touch if you do go, even if it is just for LSD (Look, See and Decide).

Mike

Just found a nice looking guesthouse, fairly affordable too at around $90 single (in Luanda terms anyway).

See: www.soleme.com/indexPT.htm

Mike

Another excellent story with great insight into Luanda:
www.ft.com/cms/s/605714b8-d11e-11da-a38b-0000779e2340.html

Mike

Scroll to top