From Angola to Zambia

LukeIRL created the topic: From Angola to Zambia

• LukeIRL
  • LukeIRL's Avatar Topic Author

Hi,
Myself and a friend, contemplating travelling from Cameroon to friends in Malawi, want to travel from the DRC (exiting at Matadi) through Angola to Zambia, crossing at the Chavuma border crossing, south-east of Luena. I realise that this will take some time as we will be relying on public transport and hitching lifts, but I was wondering if anyone has crossed this border point, and how roads in the East of Angola are for volume of traffic, and any other issues.

Thanks,
Luke

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

<i>He who will travel happy must travel light</i>

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

mozman replied the topic: From Angola to Zambia

I have been to western Zambia and judging by the poor roads and lack of public transport there, I think that Angola should be quite a challenge. But man I wish I could do this trip - amazing and now's the time to do it.

Mike

LukeIRL replied the topic: From Angola to Zambia

• LukeIRL

Thanks Olive.

Speaking of Angola changing fast, look at this:
www.uofaweb.ualberta.ca/chinainstitute/n...02=43782&nav01=43092

Interesting developments! Since posting this topic, we've also heard that
a) to obtain a tourist visa for angola, you need an invitation from a resident within the country and
b) it is illegal for a foreigner to travel around in remote areas without an armed guard.

If either of these are true, it could ruin any chances of us going through angola. Are they?

love the news about the train though!

• LukeIRL

More recent news on this:

allafrica.com/stories/200702280247.html

chikoto replied the topic: From Angola to Zambia

damn that railway project is exciting. Something I definitely want to do one day. Roger from the SA-Angola chamber of commerce was mentioning the progress on it...

I was in Angola last May and did not need an invitation but did go with someone who knew people. No rule as far as armed guards either as far as I know although they would be helpful to help push :)

• LukeIRL

Thanks again.
We hope to get all our visas sorted in London before we leave the UK. The trip is still more than a year away - summer 2008 - but I suppose it's best to know all possibilities as early as poss.

Do you think if I email the Angolan embassy in London that I'll get a response? I'll try it anyway...

Scroll to top