Foreign land ownership

Marthinus Philippus created the topic: Foreign land ownership

• Marthinus Philippus
  • Marthinus Philippus's Avatar Topic Author

Hi,
We've been involved with a process to "own" property in Moz for some time and its been frustrating and disappointing at times, to say the least. We are applying for a 2nd piece of land and have a Mozambican partner (again); I've been "advised" that majority Mozambican ownership would speed up the administrative processes - your advice on this please.
The Moz person (a law man) assisting us with the 1st process let us down badly; I know of MozLegal and that they recently joined forces with another legal entity to become the biggest law firm in Moz - I would appreciate your advice on this as well. Some have the opinion that one could manage the process yourself; is that possible and/or wise?
Thank you very much
Thinus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

mozman replied the topic: Foreign land ownership

Hi Thinus

Long ago someone very wise said that 'Moz is not for sprinters' but of course we are not all ready, prepared or able to carry on running for ever without getting to the finish line.

Firstly of course ALL land in Moz remains propery of the state and you can only own the improvements (structures) on the land. Your lease gives you quite a lot of protection so long as you diligently fulfill all the conditions of the lease i.e your project proposal, to the last little cross on the 't'.

I have a concession in Moz that I did all myself with no hassles (I speak Portuguese) but of course that's just the start and getting the various licenses is the real challenge - never ends. This may be the only way to ensure that everything is done properly as I would (and will) never fully trust a so-called partner who can really have no other motive than to get as much out of the deal without putting any money in at all. The logic is that as soon as you have your papers in order, their source of money will dry up so they want to drag out the process for as long as possible.

Unless you know someone on a personal, true friend level, do not make them a partner, rather work through the cpi investment centre and make a foreign direct investment through your own Moz registered company.

And finally big law firms all over the world are really only interested in big bucks projects and while they will take a few thousand US dollars off you to reply to emails, they probably will not make a real effort to sort out your problems unless it means lots of income for them.

Mozlegal's website www.mozlegal.com does have great info and -s with legal processes and laws on - and also see www.acisofala.com

Man I could make lots of money if I wasn't so darned honest, Tonto...

Mike

Marthinus Philippus replied the topic: Foreign land ownership

• Marthinus Philippus
  • Marthinus Philippus's Avatar Topic Author

Hi Mike,
Ja Swaer! Thank you for the straight talk - it all makes a lot of sense! We were contemplating going it alone on the last trip down and having digested your advice it seems the only way forward!
Thank you very much
Thinus

Scroll to top