Not the holiday i wished for

pienkie created the topic: Not the holiday i wished for

• pienkie
  • pienkie's Avatar Topic Author

Hi Mike,
We have travelled (2 woman) 4 times to Moz in two years, never had any problems, but this time everything went wrong.
Waited at Komati Border for 6 hours, car problems just past Maputo and was forced to pay "bribe" money by a very agresive officer. Due to the car problems, we had to stay over at Blue Ancor Inn. People very helpfull there !! We made it to Xai-Xai and that was it. Had to cancel our Tofo and Barra bookings as the car would not make it. Came back home a week earlier. The two weeks we stayed there was nice. They managed to get the car to start again, so we made it back to Johannesburg (two days of driving). Next time we will travel in a group !!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

mozman replied the topic: Not the holiday i wished for

Hi

very sorry to hear about your hassles. No excuses for police behaving like pigs but yes I know the cops in and around Maputo deserve their bad reputation. More details of exactly what happended will be very useful for other travelers.

Hope you have a great Christmas and New Year, anyway!

Mike

pienkie replied the topic: Not the holiday i wished for

• pienkie
  • pienkie's Avatar Topic Author

Hi,
We were stoped at a road block. The officer asked for our documents, i asked my friend to get the copies behind the seat, just as she loosen her seatbelt to reach in the back of the vehicle he said she did not wear a seatbelt and nearly climb into the vehicle. There was no way we could not talk to him as he just shouted "no seatbely 20 000mt !!!

Hope you also had a nice Christmas and all the best for 2012 !!!

mozman replied the topic: Not the holiday i wished for

That is when I get very quiet and tell the policeman that he should either arrest me or accompany me to the police station.

But yes I know intimidation is simply assault of the worst kind, so perhaps you did exactly what you had to.

Now lets hope this (expletive deleted) tries this on me next time I am in Maputo...

Mike

Scroll to top