Likoma Island to Ilha de Mocambique

HunterAdvisor created the topic: Likoma Island to Ilha de Mocambique

• HunterAdvisor
  • HunterAdvisor's Avatar Topic Author

We will travel the ferry to Likoma and would like to begin north in Mozambique traveling south. It would be great to have a 4x4, but I can't find where I would pick it up...Blantyre perhaps? Looking for suggestions for travel from the Lake and then north to south in Moz. We will also need to fly from Moz to Madagascar, so I am about to research where we can possibly go from without traveling to Joberg. Appreciate your advice and help in advance,
Holly

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

mozman replied the topic: Likoma Island to Ilha de Mocambique

Hi Holley

From Likoma you can easily get a local boat to Cobue in Moz where visas are issued for $82 (prices went up last month but have not been implemented at all borders, yet) so a visa could now be cheaper at a consulated (same day issue).

Not easy to get transport onwards from Cobue - unless a truck heading to Metangula or Lichinga then you may have to wait for a dhow heading to Metangula or charter one if you can afford this. From Lichinga (overnight) bus to Mandimba or Cuamba (overnight) then bus or train to Nampula (overnight) and another to Ilha de Moc.

You will not be able to find a rental company in Blantyre that will allow you take the vehicle into Moz. The only scheduled flights in southern Africa to Madagascar are from Johannesburg with SA Airlink. Certainly no planes or boats from Moz to Mada.

Mike

Andreas Martin replied the topic: Likoma Island to Ilha de Mocambique

• Andreas Martin

Hi Hunter,
try Sputnik Car Hire in Lilongwe:
www.sputnik-car-hire.mw/rates.php
I made good experience with them, and you can even order in advance from Europe via email. They have 4WD as well.
This company looks very chaotic when you visit their office. Very young staff, even the chefe is not older than 25, and everyone is more busy with joking than with working. They always gave me good rates and they are more reliabe than it looks on first sight.
Have a nice trip,
Andreas

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by HunterAdvisor

We will travel the ferry to Likoma and would like to begin north in Mozambique traveling south. It would be great to have a 4x4, but I can't find where I would pick it up...Blantyre perhaps? Looking for suggestions for travel from the Lake and then north to south in Moz. We will also need to fly from Moz to Madagascar, so I am about to research where we can possibly go from without traveling to Joberg. Appreciate your advice and help in advance,
Holly
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Scroll to top