Northern Mozambique

Vulture created the topic: Northern Mozambique

I want to travel (driving a vehicle) from Malawi through Northern Mozambique and eventually enter South Africa at Komatipoort. In other words from North to South. Probably entering from Malawi at TETE and heading South.
The two road choices are the EN1 or the R103.
Are either of these two preferable?
Is it safe as there has been quite a bit of political and religious violence there of late? It seems this is restricted to the far north East (Tanzania border)?
Is it still necessary to drive in a military or police convoy?
What is your recommendation please?

We (two Hilux bakkies 4x4) will be doing the trip towards the end of September and early October 2018.

Thank you!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

mozman replied the topic: Northern Mozambique

Greetings and welcome to Mozguide

Apologies for the delayed reply, I was away from cellphone signal for a while.

Firstly, when I saw your topic "Northern Mozambique", I expected a query regarding the provinces of Niassa and Cabo Delgado, but yes your route is certainly a long way further north than the Inhambane and Vilanculos areas where most travelers and tourists visit.

I want to travel (driving a vehicle) from Malawi through Northern Mozambique and eventually enter South Africa at Komatipoort. In other words from North to South. Probably entering from Malawi at TETE and heading South.
MIKE: As I am assuming that you will be coming from Lake Malawi and the Cape Maclear area, I compiled a google map of a route that assumes you will enter Mozambique via the Mwanza / Zobue border post. However, if it fits with your plans, it would be preferable to enter at the Dedza / Calomue border which is far less busy and all round much more pleasant.
The two road choices are the EN1 or the R103.
MIKE: I would head south from Tete to Chimoio, but here you turn to Sussundenga, stay at Ndzou Camp and then go Dombe - EN.1 and continue south to Save etc Here is my route of choice: goo.gl/maps/Gktyj3K7NQz
Are either of these two preferable?
MIKE: See above.
Is it safe as there has been quite a bit of political and religious violence there of late? It seems this is restricted to the far north East (Tanzania border)?
MIKE: No incidents anywhere along this route for about two years.

Is it still necessary to drive in a military or police convoy?
MIKE: No.

What is your recommendation please?
MIKE: See above.

We (two Hilux bakkies 4x4) will be doing the trip towards the end of September and early October 2018.

Thank you!

MIKE: Have a great trip. For a far more detailed response please refer to YOUR WRITTEN MOZGUIDE here : www.mozguide.com/index.php/about/about/custom-trips-and-tours

Vulture replied the topic: Northern Mozambique

Thank you much appreciated.

mozman replied the topic: Northern Mozambique

A pleasure.

Mike

Scroll to top