Cuamba - Nampula train

Andreas Martin created the topic: Cuamba - Nampula train

• Andreas Martin
  • Andreas Martin's Avatar Topic Author

I have been around a lot with the Cuamba - Nampula train in the past 2 weeks, and I can report the following...

The connection improved a lot. Except on Monday this train is now going EVERY day in each direction ! The two trains meet at the station in Mussa to pass by.

From Cuamba the train starts now at 5.30 am, from Nampula still at 5.00 am. The trains leave on time !

Security has been improved a lot in Nampula. There is a fence around the station. You can enter the train station only with a ticket. There is no annoyance when getting off the train arriving from Cuamba.

The 2nd class has a restaurant where they serve meals and drinks. So you only need to take one or two bottles of water, food is on board. 1st class does not exist anymore. 3rd class surely they still have as well.

If you jump on the train at small stations like Natalaia, Malema or others, you must buy your ticket in the train, because they do not sell tickets at the small stations at least for the 2nd class. This is no problem as long as you talk to the people from the serviço passageiro imatiately after joinig the train.

So far. Regards from Nampula /Moçambique,
Andreas

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

RudiK replied the topic: Cuamba - Nampula train

• RudiK

It was just our luck that when we arrived at Cuamba on a Tuesday (Sept/Oct 2009) with the intention of catching the train to Napula next day, the train did not arrive at all and we had to resort to Plan B to get to Nampula. Plan B was on the back of pick-up trucks via Gurue and Alto Molocue, where we managed to find a bus.
On our return trip the following Tuesday all was well except that there was no 2nd class carriage "as it was being renovated" and would not be in service that week. I understood that to mean that there was only one 2nd class carriage and was therefore only available every second day in either direction.

mozman replied the topic: Cuamba - Nampula train

Thanks Andreas and Rudi
great to get updates from ´on the spot´

Mike

Andreas Martin replied the topic: Cuamba - Nampula train

• Andreas Martin
  • Andreas Martin's Avatar Topic Author

Rudik, your report is from october last year. Believe me, now everything works, even in the rainy season, and it has improved a lot
Regards,
Andreas

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by RudiK

It was just our luck that when we arrived at Cuamba on a Tuesday (Sept/Oct 2009) with the intention of catching the train to Napula next day, the train did not arrive at all and we had to resort to Plan B to get to Nampula. Plan B was on the back of pick-up trucks via Gurue and Alto Molocue, where we managed to find a bus.
On our return trip the following Tuesday all was well except that there was no 2nd class carriage "as it was being renovated" and would not be in service that week. I understood that to mean that there was only one 2nd class carriage and was therefore only available every second day in either direction.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

mozman replied the topic: Cuamba - Nampula train

Yep, nothing stays the same for long in Moz - so always travel with the attitude 'adventure is unpredictable'.

Mike

AdrianLesher replied the topic: Re: Cuamba - Nampula train

• AdrianLesher

Any recent experiences with this train? I am traveling to Mozambique in late October/early November and want to know whether 2nd or 1st class seats will be available. I also want to know the frequency of operation.

Scroll to top