Komatipoort to Maputo to Ponta Torres

DavidHolmes created the topic: Komatipoort to Maputo to Ponta Torres

Good Day

We are looking to staying in Ponta Torres in March next year and my understanding is that the best way to get there is via Maputo and on a Ferry. I will be driving a Nissan x-trail 4x4, is this vehicle sufficient? Please can I also have more information regarding which Ferry and the cost involved? Is there petrol available once I leave Maputo (after the Ferry ride)? We are staying quite c.ose to Hells Gate.

Many Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

mozman replied the topic: Re: Komatipoort to Maputo to Ponta Torres

Hi

No.

Going via Maputo and the Catembe Ferry will be the last route I would take from South Africa.

I would either go via Jozini and Kosi Bay and enter at the Ponta do Ouro border or I would go via Swaziland (Sandlane border post) to Manzini, Siteki and then enter Moz at Goba and go via Salamanga.

If you choose the Swaziland route then your best advice is to overnight at Mabuda Farm www.mabuda.com , and if going via Kosi then overnight at Thobeka www.kosi.co.za

It is also good advice to ask Ponta Torres what their recommended route is.

Note that there are some very sandy stretches in the Maputo Elephant Reserve roads so deflate your tyres to 1.5 bar when you enter the Reserva.

Go well and enjoy

Mike, watching the lights of Tete city reflect on the Zambezi from Masau Lodge: riozambezelodges.com/masau

DavidHolmes replied the topic: Re: Komatipoort to Maputo to Ponta Torres

Many thanks for the help.

Hi Mozman

Do you know that the roads are like through Swazi Land please? Is another option to go south after Komatipoort via the 251 road and then the 201 via Bela Vista?

Many thanks for your help!

David

mozman replied the topic: Re: Komatipoort to Maputo to Ponta Torres

Hi again

the Moamba - Boane road is in very poor condition - potholes every few metres. So I would enter Moz at Goba and at first junction take right turn and follow signs to R202 and Bela Vista.

Mike

Hi Mozman

Thank you for your help.

Much Appreciated!

DavidHolmes

Scroll to top