Lilongwe to Pemba

torres created the topic: Lilongwe to Pemba

Hi, im writting from Argentina, sorry for my english. We are thinking go from Lilongwe to Pemba by Public transportation. The itinerary woulg Lilongwe - Mangochi - Chiponde - Mandimba - Cuamba - Nampula - Pemba. Is possible this way ? can be done in 6 days?

There are direct fligths to any city in the nort of Moz from LIvingstone, Lusaka or Lilongwe?

Thanks for any help you can give me

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

mozman replied the topic: Re: Lilongwe to Pemba

Hi Torres

You can do Lilongwe to Pemba via Mandimba and Nampula in 4 days, if in a hurry, and this supposes that the Cuamba to Nampula train is running normally.

So go Lilongwe to Mandima on first day, then second day to Cuamba, 3rd day to Nampula on the train and 4th day by bus to Pemba.

The only direct flights to northern Mozambique are from Maputo and from Dar es Salaam (Tanzania). I believe there are now flights from Harare to Maputo, then to Pemba - this is the most direct I can suggest.

Mike

torres replied the topic: Re: Lilongwe to Pemba

Mike, thank you for the reply. Do you know if is complicated to take tickets for the train Cuamba to Nampula ?

Thank you

Hi
CORRECTION. THE BREAK IN THE LINE IS BETWEEN NAMPULA AND NACALA AT MONAPO. SO FAR IT SEEMS THAT THE CUAMBA - NAMPULA TRAINS HAVE NOT BEEN AFFECTED. APOLOGIES.

POST TO BE CORRECTED:
The bad news is that a 70 metres long section of the Cuamba to nampula railroad has been washed away by the very heavy rains that have been falling in northern Mozambique, so the train will probably not be running until the end of February 2013.

Alternative public transport on this route is also difficult as the road has also been flooded in places.

I would use the Milange /Mulanje border into Mozambique then to Mocuba - Nampula - etc as this route is in much better condition.

Mike

Hi

just a correction to my previous post. The break in the line is actually between Nampula and Nacala at Monapo. So far it seems that the Cuamba to nampula trains have not been affected.

Apologies.

Mike

Hi again

tickets are sold at the station (estacao) the day before you leave. There is a lot of information on this forum so please use the search function for "Cuamba train" and / or "Nampula train".

Mike

Scroll to top