Roads access in the North

duffydj created the topic: Roads access in the North

• duffydj
  • duffydj's Avatar Topic Author

Hi there. This will be my first post, I've read a lot of useful information on this site, but couldn't find the answer to my questions, so I'm going to post it. Apologies if it is somewhere already.

Do you know if it's drivable with a normal car the following:

Nampula to Ilha, then Ilha to Fernao Veloso, then Fernao Veloso to Pemba and then Pemba to Quissinga. Is all of this route possible with a normal car, not a 4x4 in May?

And is it safe to leave the car in Quissinga for a few days while heading on the boat or dhow to the Quirimbas?

This is the route I have in mind in google maps:

goo.gl/maps/ASwzSwEUqMG2

Obrigado! B)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

mozman replied the topic: Roads access in the North

Welcome to mozguide and apologies for the delayed reply.

I have attached an edited version of your map showing roads that are OK for a normal car. You certainly won't make it to Quissanga so I suggest that you leave vehicle in Pemba and use public transport to get to Quissanga.

May can still be very wet in northern Moz making it possible that all roads leading to Quissanga become impassable to all vehicles for days and even weeks.

Heavy rains in that part at present so even the main tarred roads could be cut by damaged bridges and wash-aways. I would join the Moz Forum and DriveMoz pages on Facebook and paste your queries there closer to your trip.

Enjoy Ilha - fantastic place!

Edited route map: goo.gl/maps/u6TTkbUjD2m

Mike

Grace123 replied the topic: Roads access in the North

hello
what is the easy way to get from dar a salam to pemba by public transportaion?

and what should we know / prepare for the border (ecxept of visa)

thank you!

duffydj replied the topic: Roads access in the North

• duffydj
  • duffydj's Avatar Topic Author

Many thanks Mike. I'll have to postpone my trip from May to begining of September, so I guess the weather will be better and the roads won't be wet.

But good to know that I can't reach the boat with a standard car.

Thanks again.

Yes, heavy rains are continuing in central (Sofala, Manica and Tete provinces) and northern Moz (Zambezia, Nampula and Cabo Delgado Provinces), so this could continue to May, or the after effects, anyway. So September a good option.

Mike

Hi Grace

sorry, missed your query. Quite easy to get to Mtwara from Dar (get visa first as no visas at border) by regular (daily, I think) buses. Then take a dala-dala or other transport to Kilambo border and there you may have to get another ride to the river. You could wait for the vehicle ferry but simply ask the locals to buy a ticket for you for one of the smaller boats (otherwise you might be asked Muzungu - or White Person's - price). Cross the Ruvuma and if transport is waiting, again ask locals to get your ticket, or walk 3km to Namoto border post (not at night due to lions). From Namoto to Quionga is 15km. You should quite easily get transport going to Mocimboa da Praia where you overnight before getting 0400 bus further south.

All you need at border is passport with visa in it. Without a vehicle there are no fees.

Go well

Mike

Scroll to top