Pafuri to Vilanculos (Limpopo drift crossing)

BS1601 replied the topic: Re: Pafuri to Vilanculos

Hi All

Any new data/info on the Limpopo crossing on the way to Vilanculos. any info on the road to vilanculos after you crossed the river.

I will be travelling through there on the 20st or 21st of Dec.

Regards

Barry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

CarolMc1 replied the topic: Re: Pafuri to Vilanculos

Pafuri to Mapai/Limpopo crossing quite bad in places, will definitely worsen with significant rainfall. As you are travelling late December Mozman will advise that you need to check if you can cross the Limpopo (even with the bridge and its friendly caretaker!! R70.00 per vehicle.)
Good road from there to Machaila then soft sand track until you get to Mabote, after that a good gravel road. Again soft sand track could be very difficult after heavy rain!
Hope this helps a bit!
We did this trip 18 October 2012.
CarolMc1

mozman replied the topic: Re: Pafuri to Vilanculos

Hi

I understand your concern. At this time of the year the possiblity that the Limpopo starts flowing too strongly increases every day. I do watch the rainfall in the Limpopo basin to try and predict its flow, baring in mind that heavy rain in NW Prov or Eastern Botswana will only translate to increased flow at Pafuri and Mapai after 2 to 4 days.

I spoke to a contact at Mapai a few minutes ago and he assures me that the river is not flowing yet there, but my own opinion is that water is on its way. How much? I can't say.

Rest assured that as soon as I hear any news relating the Pafuri and Mapai Limpopo crossings, I will post it on mozguide immediately.

I do see via the overland google group that last Thursday last week (22/11/2012), the level of the Limpopo at Pontdrift in NW Limpopo Province, rose suddenly and was not crossable. I have not followed up the latest situation but suggest that you phone the Pontdrift Border Control www.sars.gov.za/border/Limpopo/PontdriftPOE.htm

Mike

PJN replied the topic: Re: Pafuri to Vilanculos

Will also be crossing on the 21st. Let me know what car you'll be driving and ill be on the llookout

Always good to make friends along the way.

We'll be driving green pajero and red swb landy.

Mike please post updates on the water level.

Thanks

Petri

mozman replied the topic: Re: Pafuri to Vilanculos

Hi

I have just (0550, Mon 3/12) spoken to my man in Mapai ("My Man in Mapai, how's that for a title for the new Bond movie, hey Senhor Craige?), and he assures me that the Limpopo still has not started flowing there . .

Actually, never mind what Mapai tells us, right now there is heavy rain over much of the Limpopo's drainage basin, and forecast to continue for the next few days, so my guess is that within the next week, the level of the Limpopo will start rising dramatically and could well be too high to cross by the weekend of 8 Dec.

Remember that, apart from Hartebeespoort dam which is on the Crocodile River, the major tributary of the Limpopo just north of Johannesburg, there are no dams to moderate the flow of the Limpopo, so rain inevitably turns into flow.

I will speak to Mapai every morning from now on and post info here.

Mike

PJN replied the topic: Re: Pafuri to Vilanculos

Thanks Mike and "The man from Mapai"

Scroll to top