Eating Out at Vilanculos - Casa Rex

Lostshepard created the topic: Eating Out at Vilanculos - Casa Rex

• Lostshepard
  • Lostshepard's Avatar Topic Author

We have just come back from a fantastic trip in Mozambique; entered at Pafuri - thanks Mike I got the VISA for my UK passport just as you said I would for R170 plus R 1 !!! No hassles just good natured & slow. Then travelled across to Inhasarrio where we stayed for a few days. Whilst there a group of us - eight in all - decided, crap roads notwithstanding, that we'd go to Vilanculos for lunch - to Casa Rex - which had been very highly recommended - I note that they also used to be in the Greenwood Guide.(2005)

Sorry to say that Casa Rex was a GREAT disappointment - upon arrival - great location, nice premises, the African staff could not have been more pleasant & accommodating - would we mind waiting whilst they put tables together for us ? no problem. After about 15 minutes or so we were shown to our tables & drinks orders were taken. No problem.

The problem was that during all this time the white South African woman whom I assume to be the owner, not once, welcomed us or acknowledged us in any way whatsoever - she must have worked for the SA Post office at some stage or in a previous life; as she managed at all times to keep her eyes cast downwards. Eventually I called her over, vocally, to ensure that she did actually have to acknowledge our presence. Not a good beginning.

The food was not great, Pedestrian & ordinary and lacked in many areas of presentation. My wife & I had prawns ( surprise surprise ) I have had way better at Theos in Moille Point Cape Town. Another couple had the Sea food platter for two which comprised mostly small shell fish, some dried up fish & a couple of prawns - it was presented in such a manner that the plate looked as though the food had been dumped on it - the couple concerned were not impressed. Of the others one had steak, which I always think is crazy in a fish restaurant but well each one to his own - it was not good and his wife had the pasta which she said was dreadful.The other couple had something safe which they announced was adequate. We nevertheless were having a wonderful time in each others company, and being on holiday in pleasant surroundings on a nice to-day no one particularly wanted to make a fuss so we paid & left. However it was put to me that I should put something up on Moz Guide to warn others.

Its a great pity - and we have exactly the same problem in Cape Town - that firstly some of the very people involved in the hospitality business are the very ones who should be no where near it and that secondly, the better the location and premises the worse the food.

I give this information merely as a record of our visit to Casa Rex - maybe they were having an off day - but we won't be going back - BUT we will be going back to Mozambique !!!! What a fantastic time we had roads & traffic cops notwithstanding - not that we encountered any problems at all as we always slowed right down to under 50Km's per hour when entering towns.

Thanks Mike for a great site.

Paul & Lin
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

mozman replied the topic: Eating Out at Vilanculos - Casa Rex

Not a good experience but I must add that I have some experience in the hospitality world and it is difficult to maintain consistent standards and that my own experiences at Casa Rex have always been good to excellent. Right now I am in Vilankulo and will eat at Zombie Cucumber - Steph's meals are excellent but it's pot luck - two options one usually fish or meat and the other vegetarian. Pizzas sometimes and really nice.

Thanks Pastor perdido (lost shepherd)

Mike

Lostshepard replied the topic: Eating Out at Vilanculos - Casa Rex

• Lostshepard
  • Lostshepard's Avatar Topic Author

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mozman</i>
<br />Not a good experience but I must add that I have some experience in the hospitality world and it is difficult to maintain consistent standards and that my own experiences at Casa Rex have always been good to excellent. Right now I am in Vilankulo and will eat at Zombie Cucumber - Steph's meals are excellent but it's pot luck - two options one usually fish or meat and the other vegetarian. Pizzas sometimes and really nice.

Thanks Pastor perdido (lost shepherd)

Mike
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Thanks Mike I merely put up this letter to ensure that if they were having an off day maybe someone would draw their attention to my letter and give them the proverbial kick up the bum - I am a great believer that if people do not know their shortcomings how can they improve them - there is no point in being confrontational on the day as if they are having a bad day they are having a bad day and are really not in "LISTEN" mode - its a great location - like AVIS they need to try harder - is all !! cheers paul - lost shepard

Scroll to top