Tofo to Vilanculos

spacekitten created the topic: Tofo to Vilanculos

• spacekitten
  • spacekitten's Avatar Topic Author

Hi

I'm planning on visiting Moz in November - either and 8 or 12 day tour and then 2 - 3 weeks on a volunteer project in Vilanculos.

The tour can either drop me at Maputo Airport to fly to Vilanculos or at Tofo as they said you can get a bus and it takes about three hours.

Has anyone done the bus trip? know how regular it is? Is it safe for a lone female?

:-)
thanks
Karen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

mozman replied the topic: Tofo to Vilanculos

Hi Karen

Take the Tofo drop off - quite easy to use public transport to get to Vilankulo. Will take about an hour on a chapa (minibus or pick-up taxi) Tofo to Inhambane town then I recommend a dhow taxi across the bay to Maxixe and then chapas up to Vilankulo.

I've had postings from many lone women travelers and hardly a mention of any problems apart from the universal ones of crowded and uncomfortable public transport and lack of clean (or any) toilets en-route.

Plenty of accomm options in Tofo - depending on your own tolerance for other travellers and price. My own recommendations (in order of friendliness) are Turtle Creek, Mango Beach, Fatimas Nest then Bamboozi. Take a look at the PDF guides linked on mozguide front page for heaps more info.

Have you got a visa yet? If yes where did you get it and how much did you pay. I see you are have booked a tour - which company?

Mike

spacekitten replied the topic: Tofo to Vilanculos

• spacekitten

Thanks for the reply Mike [:)]

I've not got anything booked yet but have been looking at Blue Chilli's http://www.bluechillisa.com/index.shtml 12 day tropical chill tour and also their 8 day whale shark tour.

In addition to the Moz tour and volunteer work I'll be visiting Cape Town and also plan on visiting either Namibia or Botswana, so the decison-making is tied in with budget.. [;)]

I haven't got the visa yet but will obv get that somewhere before I leave London. Not sure whether it's any cheaper for Australians (which I am) or same price as for EU peeps.

mozman replied the topic: Tofo to Vilanculos

Hi

Getting a visa at an embassy beforehand is quite a lot more expensive than obtaining one on entry - either at a land border or at an airport. UK and Oz citizens pay around ZAR750 (50 Pounds) at a consulate in South Africa, or ZAR170 at the border. So ask the tour company whether they can wait while your visa is issued at the border, if not then you will have to pay the consulate fee.

I looked up Blue Chilli and I must say that it looks more like a tour broker than a tour operator so ask exactly who will be taking you on tour and also for a few references. I see that it is a branch of the Blue Chilli Backpackers ... I HAVE DELETED THIS PART OF MY REPLY BUT EMAILED MY FULL RESPONSE (ON SAT 14 JUNE) TO BLUE CHILLI TO GIVE THEM RIGHT OF REPLY - NO RESPONSE YET (MON 16 JUNE) - MIKE

Thurs 19 June. Still not a word from Blue Chilli so I feel it's OK to repost what I originally wrote:
"
I looked up Blue Chilli and I must say that it looks more like a tour broker than a tour operator so ask exactly who will be taking you on tour and also for a few references. I see that it is a branch of the Blue Chilli Backpackers in Hatfield Pretoria and I get the feeling that while they may have been running a backpackers for 7 years, they probably have not been running tours for long. Also the info on the website is out of date and it worries me that the 'Terms and conditions' page is 'under construction'. Must add too that the 12-day Moz tour Budget rate at R6400 seems a good price, perhaps too good?"

I did the google and must say that for a company that apparently has been around for so long, there is absolutely no independent info at all on them.
I did the google and must say that for a company that apparently has been around for so long, there is absolutely no independent info at all on them.

I have emailed this posting to them too so let's see their reply.

Mike

• spacekitten

Cheers again for the reply Mike.

I found out about them through Siyabona Travel in CT, who sell their 12 day Tropical Chill tour. There were a couple of posts relating to them them on tripadvisor.co.uk

Obviously I'm keen to go with good operators whatever I decide to do (and spend my hard-earned cash on!) on my African travels on the way back to Oz - whether it's Namibia, Bots or Moz.

• spacekitten

And on the transport side of things again, do you have any recommendations for airlines?

Depending on what I end up doing I'll either be flying from Joburg to Vilankulo return if I was going direct to the African Impact project there (I don't suppose you have any feedback/knowledge about their operations there?)

Or if I do a tour I could be flying from Maputo or Tofo to Vilankulo and then from Vilankulo to JB.

I have to say I'm not the world's best flier... and am a bit concerned about the national carriers of many countries... [;)]

Scroll to top