personal evaluation after 3 weeks in Mozambique
Sophie created the topic: personal evaluation after 3 weeks in Mozambique9 years 11 months ago
- Topic Author
Just got back from Mozambique where I spent 3 weeks. Your website and answers were very helpful in preparation of my travelling.
I would like to share this personal evaluation of places that I’ve seen and experienced with other travellers. I was a solo woman traveller, and during all my stay in Mozambique I felt safe and most of the local people were very friendly and helpful. If you take precautions you will be fine.
- Visa cost in Maputo Airport is 25$, but if you don’t have $ but Euros only it will cost you 25 Euros, so if you want to save some money have $ prepared
- In Maputo I stayed at “THE BASE” - RECOMMENDED – good location, basic but clean, Arceli who works there is very helpful
- In Maputo go to the fish market, buy some prawns and have them prepared (grilled) by one of the local, small restaurants, it was the highlight of the day
- I found the capital of Mozambique not as charming as in the description in Lonely Planet, but still I enjoyed visiting National Art Museum with beautiful exposition and Centro Cultural Franco-Mozambicano
- Excellent Bar “Chez Rangel” at the train station (you must enter the train station to find it). Great atmosphere, jazz music and drinks – RECOMMNDED
- If you stay in Maputo only one day (as I did) and want to visit many places you can use a minitaxi, I had a reliable driver Timotiu, his mobile 821 383 850, you can negotiate the price (pricey but great)
I loved Tofo, maybe because I found there all what I was looking for during this holiday. Beautiful beaches (you can walk for kilometres and not see another tourist, only fishermen), gentle local people, amazing sea life (you can see a humpback whales as soon as you look at the ocean line) great diving.
- I stayed in TURTLE COVE – RECOMMENDED – great place, great atmosphere, very friendly and helpful staff, great food, quiet, you can sleep at night. Excellent yoga retreat. You can take daily yoga classes with Candice.
- Turtle Cove is 15 min walk from Tofo, but while walking you meet lots of locals and you can watch the life in the villages. From Turtle Cove you can walk only 5min to Tofino Beach, beautiful, unspoiled beach with great surf.
- Turtle Cove organises also Ocean safaris combined with fishing, great fun, very relaxed, they give you lots of time to watch the sea life and snorkel (mantas, dolphins, whale sharks – MUST SEE), safe
- I did diving with Tofo Scuba – RECOMMENDED – great location right on the beach
- As I stayed in Tofo for 2 weeks I have tried most of the restaurants, best fish Hotel Tofo Mar, best pizza Dino’s beach bar, BAMBOOZI – NOT RECOMMENDED for food, if you want to spend a bit more and have lunch with stunning views walk along the ocean to MANGO BEACH, a beautiful restaurant on the dunes and amazing food, call in advance, they also arrange dinners and can pick you up at the place where you stay.
- Do not leave your belongings on the beach while you go swimming, make sure someone has an eye on them
I stayed in Vilankulos only 4 days, it is a place that grows in you, the longer you stay there the more you like it. In September Vilankulos was very quiet.
- I stayed in ZOMBIE CUCUMBER – RECOMMENDED – a lovely place with garden, 5 steps from the beach, quiet, VERY CLEAN. Sabrina who manages the place is SUPER helpful, and she cooks so well you don’t want to eat anywhere else (Mike, Sabrina is asking where are you? She haven’t seen you for awhile)
- If Sabrina is not cooking go to the local bar on the beach for an excellent fresh fish, 5 steps from Zombie Cucumber or to Veranda restaurant.
- BAZARUTO National Park is one of the most stunning places I have seen in my life. I visited Bazaruto Island and Magaruque, both islands very beautiful and what most amazing you just don`t see other people! The coral reef has all the forms and colours.
- To go to Magaruque I used “RODRIGUEZ” dhow operator – RECOMMENDED – friendly, safe,<