flying to Jo'burg or straight to Maputo?

MarijZwart created the topic: flying to Jo'burg or straight to Maputo?

Hello!
First, thank you so much for this great forum!!! There’s no other place with so much good value information.

I’m planning a trip to Moz for two months. The first weeks I plan to spend in Maputo to try to learn a bit Portuguese (and enjoy Maputo) and after that I’ll just travel around. I have spend quite some time in Africa, but only West-Africa, and I’m a bit nervous since I’m a single female traveler of 21. I’m sure I’ll be fine, but I’ve got one question concerning my arrival. The tickets to Jo’burg are way cheaper than flights straight to Maputo, but I’m a little bit concerned to spend my first ‘starting-up’ day in such an unsafe place as Jo’burg and than having to deal with finding a bus and stuff. I know this forum concerns Moz, but I thought maybe you can give your thoughts about whether you think it’s easy to travel from jo’burg to Maputo (and if it’s possible to do that in a safe way) or that it’s better to pay more, but fly straight to Maputo.
Hope you can give your opinion on this and thanks in advance#61514;
Mary

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

MarijZwart replied the topic: flying to Jo'burg or straight to Maputo?

Hi again! I'm sorry, I spend more time reading your forum and i saw that this question was actually already asked and answered! Sorry for the inconvenience!

mozman replied the topic: flying to Jo'burg or straight to Maputo?

Hi Mary

Joburg really not so 'unsafe' - it is my home city and I am not a careful person and after 48 years (touch wood) not a victim of any violent crime (yet?).

Note too that 1Time airline now fly Joburg - Maputo for R568 ($80).

And yes many backpackers in Joburg will collect at airport and get you onto a bus from Park station next morning.

Mike

Scroll to top