How safe for a girl...

lora created the topic: How safe for a girl...

• lora
  • lora's Avatar Topic Author

Hello,
I've just come across 3 months off (horay) and the opportunity to join friends in Tanzania.
I am a bit confused about the best way to cross between Tanz and Moz. Via Lake Nyasa, or over the Ruvuma River? I will be on my own at this point, and want to know that it is both safe and easy (ish).

Which brings me to my next question. How safe is it to travel as a single female (presuming I don't pick up traveling friends on the way)?? I have traveled quite a bit on my own, but want to know what to be prepared for.
Ideally I'd like to come from the North and work my way down to fly out from SA. Is it a reasonably well traveled route from top to bottom? Should I have any real concerns if I am on my own??

Thanks

Lora

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

mozman replied the topic: How safe for a girl...

The 'best' (easiest and safest, perhaps) way to get from tanz to Moz is to fly LAM from Dar to Pemba. Seems you will be going overland so then go down to Mtwara by bus, but note that during the rains (start in Nov), the route south from Kilwa can become very difficult if not impassable. Not a well travelled route as far south as Pemba, then quite a few backpackers, increasing past Chimoio - and for this reason is actually much safer (crooks don't hang around where there are few opportunities) for loan travellers. Have chatted to many loan ladies who have arrived this way with no hassles. Make sure that you research where you will stay in Mtwara properly as you may arrive in the dark.

Mike

lora replied the topic: How safe for a girl...

• lora
  • lora's Avatar Topic Author

Thanks for that. Yes I will be going overland as apose to flying. I shall be crossing around mid October, when I'm hoping I wont be affected by the rains. If I am, is it inadvisable/impossible to travel o/land?
I will be heading further south (Inhambane I think) for some diving for 3 weeks, is this area affected by the rains too, if so, realistically should I look at bringing forward my trip, or can that be avoided?
Thanks for the advice, the site is great, Im still working my way through it all....!

Any advice from others out there, very welcome!

mozman replied the topic: How safe for a girl...

Hi again

Rains in East Africa and SE Africa start later the further south you go so Inhambane area should be dry until December, but even then rains are warm welcome downpours. I think October will OK. Make sure that you budget for a week at Pangane in Moz, and take a dhow from there to Ibo, then dhow to Tandanhangue (Quissanga) and 'chapa' to Pemba. There is daily transport from Namoto (Quionga) to Mocimboa da Praia where you can stay at Pensao Leeta (budget), or at Chez Natalie (if you can afford to). Take bus to Macomia, then chapa to Mucojo and anything you can find to Pangane.

Mike

Scroll to top